Inserting the title page for a score and all of its linked parts.

Dear users and developers.

According to the following video, How to Add a Master Page | Page Layout in Dorico - YouTube, we should insert the title page on each part.

It means we should repeat the inserting phase 25 times if we write an orchestral piece for 2-2-2-2, 4-3-3-1, 1 timpani player and five string parts.
Do we have a way to create the same title page for the score and all the linked parts?

1 Like

I’d create one new master page based on “none”, containing the pertinent information and using tokens wherever possible (certainly {@layoutname@} or {@stafflabelsfull@} ). You’ll need to create one more new master page based on “none” for the score.

So yeah, as things stand you need to insert 26 times, but you only need to create the Master page twice.

The thing that could take considerably longer is redoing staff spacing work. If you insert pages, the music on all following pages shifts to what is technically a different frame. If you’ve manually moved staves or systems up or down, you’ll lose that work and have to start over. For this reason, it’s very important that - if you do this sort of work - you get your title pages inserted first.

1 Like

Thank you for your suggestion.
I do almost the same way as your suggestion.

However, it would really great if we can simplify the 26-time repetitive inserting phase…

This is such a common procedure that it would be worth being able to ‘insert title page’ and it not affect anything on later pages.

2 Likes

What happens, if we choose “First” in the third row whilst creating a new Masterpage? Isn’t this then automatically added as Title page to all parts?

Nope. If you do that then a) it doesn’t get added to any layout automatically (because it doesn’t contain any music frames) and b) the actual first page of each layout takes on the Default master page, meaning it will generally lose its title/composer etc. (assuming you haven’t built all that stuff into the Flow Heading and told Layout Options to use Flow Headings on all flows).

“my bad” I was just guessing…
Thank you for the clarification pianoleo.

Just wondering if adding a title page is currently a manual operation (“override”) to be done to all parts. I don’t see a setting for “add page to multiple layouts” but I thought I’d check before doing this manually.

Thanks.

IIRC There is a way to propagate the layout of one part to other parts (although I have never had occasion to use it). That might be a way to simplify your process if used before you need to subsequently tweak each part.

Right, duh, thanks. Propagate part layout. Good idea. Yeah, I think this could be a good “first step” to part preparation.

I don’t think propagate part formatting includes page templates – depending on how many title pages you need to import (e.g. if you had a title page and 2-3 other intro pages), you could set up one layout, and then duplicate that layout; and then re-assign each player to one of the duplicates. That may or may not end up quicker than inserting page template changes for the title page on page 1 of each layout.

(If you only have one flow in this project, save yourself time by setting part layouts to use the First page template for “any flow starting at the top of the page”, so when you insert the title page at the start of the layout, the first page of music still uses the First page template)

Thanks, Lillie, for clarifying/correcting my incomplete suggestion.

I’ve been doing exactly what Pianoleo suggested two years ago, the day before yesterday.And I thought "wouldn’t it be great if the team had some way to automatize this boring process of

1. Change page template on page one to my title page template
  2. Make sure page 2 is really First page template
    for all parts at once" ?
    I think it took me ten minutes, and I have keyboard shortcuts! and before that, I wasted two minutes trying the propagate parts formatting route, discovering that it wasn’t helping at all. I read this thread two days too late :sweat_smile:
2 Likes

If you Insert the title page before page 1 instead of changing the template, at least it saves one step. You get a red override instead of a green one :wink:

… meaning if you later edit the formatting of your Title page template, those inserted pages won’t update… just fyi