Inserts on FX rather than on Instrument track provide much greater performance

My little hint for disabling inserts was not only related to performance considerations. There are other reasons for wanting to do that.

One of them is to quickly test production ideas.

Another one might be to pause a very specific high latency plugin while recording, while leaving some low latency plugins on.

There are hundreds possible. It comes down to the plugins used.

Of course there are.

Constrain Delay compensation comes to mind…

5 instances of NDSP in one signal chain all on one track, and you’re done. Put them on separate FX tracks and Voila!

Now, if Steinberg simply put every plugin on a different thread, you wouldn’t have to do that. It requires a “Rendezvous Manager”, but they have to have coded that already or it wouldn’t work when you put them on separate tracks… or maybe they did something else clever, but never the less it’s plug and play technology for C++ these days. Same thing is done in medical devices, many scientific tools, airline ticketing systems, air traffic control…

If the plugin requires more CPU for inserts in audio tracks then as inserts of FX tracks something could be wrong with the plugin…
It should behave exactly the same in both situations. Actually, it is the same situation.
Only difference is that the processing takes longer if you insert 5 plugins into one channel.

They are on different threads apparently. I’m saying that you spread the 5 inserts across 5 FX tracks, it is acceptable. If they are all on one track, it drops blocks. This isn’t the case in other hosts. There isn’t anything wrong with the plugins.

Are you converting English to German by any chance?

That’s what you think. Nobody confirmed this from the developers side.

What does this mean?
I have to translate it, yes, but do it mostly with my brain… no conversion tool involved, just a spell checker plugin on my browser.

I disabled this function a few years back as it was causing some plugins to glitch, I presume it runs ok for yourself? I may try enabling it this weekend, as perhaps fixes have been made either plugin or host side.

Also, it’s worth mentioning that bypassing a plugin is different to turning it off - particularly in regards to CPU/VST load discussion. Turning it off will cause the audio engine to pause as the signal chain is re-calculated, bypassing won’t as it’s still active just not applying it’s processing.

i.e. a heavily latent plugin will still cause latency in the project if bypassed. So the differentiation between the two methods is important.

Edit: Just realised Nico had said this - that’ll teach me for not reading ahead! :slight_smile: