Inside Bar Range/MLE

Greetings,

In the attached screen shot I have a Midi Logical Editor preset that selects the upbeats of a simple pattern of 8th notes (quavers). I’ve kept it simple so no “action target” is specified or needed. I’m posting more than one question, but please feel free to answer any or just whatever comment I might find useful in working with “inside bar range” in the MLE. Thanks.

1. Is there any way to adjust the ‘bar range’ display’ so there’s a darker line for the subdivisions of the bar?

2. How do you select values for triplets?

3. If I select “All In loop” will all the tracks be processed by the MLE or do I need to do each track individually?

4. Is there question I should have asked but didn’t?

There’s no “Midi Logical Editor”. It’s just Logical Editor, so please don’t rename things- you will confuse people from the future who are reading the forum. :wink:

Of course you have added a target filter, it’s the start positions you have set in the filter pane. That is 49% of the fundamental concept behind how the LE works. The other 49% of course, is the Actions pane, leaving 2% for the Functions menu. :wink:

To select triplets, calculate the number of ticks in a triplet to find their start positions.

The LE is a topic I and only and a few other users take the time to answer, though I am sure there are many very advanced users- composers, their assistants, various different kinds of MIDI artists - who use it routinely. But it takes time to write answers and verify that they actually work, which is what I do before posting.

The way I learned how it works was by reading the manual section on it, which is pretty complete, and by experimenting. Would you consider it unreasonable if I were to expect the same from others, rather than verily spoon feeding them the questions they don’t know enough to ask? Sorry buddy, but mine is a valid point. Of course others might chime in with what you need, so go for it!

Right. I use MLE and PLE for the two logical editors. I’ll use LE and PLE in future posts to be clear.

This I’ve worked out. In one video, the user’s bar rage display on the LE seemed to have darker lines after every 4th square. My display is 16 squares with no grouping. I don’t know what I might adjust in colors to change that? Maybe the display is slightly better on Mac? Anyway, In my example, no action target was needed. I’ve applied action target function, and do have “action target” questions but I’ll post those in future.

I’ve read the documentation and find it kind of opaque and thin on LE use. One line is given but there’s no usage examples. In Chess the masters openly share the great games, in science papers are published for peer review – that’s my view on using Cubase. I’ll continue to experiment and post questions or any examples I come up with that might be worth sharing. There are some excellent forum posts on Logical Editor and Project Logical Editor around the boards and I’ve found a few helpful videos. Work’in on it.

Here’s an example using booleans and nesting: https://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewtopic.php?p=732918#p732918

The display of the LE bar range depends on the time sig- it’s equal to the total number of ticks in the measure, e.g., @ 480 pulses per quarter note, 4/4 has 1920, 13/8 has 3120 (3120/13=240 ticks, or an 8th note). The heavy grid lines are set by the numerator, when that is possible.

Thanks for this and the thread reference above. Very helpful and useful. :slight_smile: