Install and Uninstall questions

Daniel,

In thinking a lot about the upcoming release of Dorico, I do have some questions regarding the install and the uninstall process.

In some previous software I have used (music and non-music programs) the install portion of the program adds files and “other software” that is necessary for the program to operate (python launcher comes to mind, older versions of Java runtime, etc.). However, upon removing the software that uses these “other software”, the “other software” is often left behind. In other words, the uninstall doesn’t remove the entirety of what was installed. Over the years, this has left bits and pieces of “other software” on my machines of which I had no use, or no real understanding of what they really did. I remember getting very annoyed because one of these “other software” kept asking to be updated. Of which I had no idea how to update, or more importantly, how to remove.

Is Dorico going be completely independent when it installs? Or will it need to install “other software” to allow it to run? Also, if “other software” is needed, will the uninstall process of the software remove all of these different software that were added for operation?

Robby

Dorico does depend on other Steinberg software, so the full installation does necessarily install the audio engine, licensing components, VST plugins, HALion content, etc. However, the last time I tried to uninstall, the uninstaller did a pretty good job of removing pretty much everything.

Thanks for the answer Paul!

I figured as much, but wanted to make sure. I know it is down the road quite some time, but my concern will really be when it comes to upgrading to version 2.0, etc. In years past, I used to keep 1 version of my notation software 1 version old, along with the new, in case anyone I was working for or with didn’t upgrade. This has partially been why so many things were left behind I believe.

I am wondering if you guys have begun thinking about how upgrading will be occur? And how or what it will look like, especially for those (like me) who always keep an older version available, just in case.

Robby

We haven’t really thought about this in great detail at this point, I’m afraid. I expect we will follow the same sort of pattern as we do for our other products, such as Cubase, whereby you can install successive major versions alongside each other and uninstall the previous one separately when you’re ready. For patches etc. to Dorico 1.x, though, those will simply install over the top of what you already have: it won’t necessarily be practical to have Dorico 1.0.10 and Dorico 1.0.20 installed side-by-side on the same machine.

What about file compatibility? Will minor updates use a file format that’s compatible with older versions, or at least be able to back-save?

This shouldn’t really be an issue if updates are free, but some people are hesitant to update something that works for them.

Thanks Daniel!

I wasn’t really as concerned so much with vs 1.0.10 and 1.0.20, really just other full versions running, and what happens when you go to remove an older version. If uninstalling will remove required files for the higher version, and whether or not it would leave 3rd party software only usable by Dorico on the machine.

But in reading what Paul wrote, it sounds like Dorico will only use Steinberg software and other directly related Dorico software.

I am sure you guys are busy trying to get things tidied up. Thanks for taking the time to answer our questions, and give us a brief look into what Dorico will be.

Robby

We’ve thought very carefully about file formats and we will try to keep files portable between minor versions so that you should be able to read a file created in 1.x.10 in version 1.x.1.

However, do bear in mind that as we add features in minor versions, there’s no way of older versions knowing how to interpret the extra data for them, so they will ignore it (but they at least should carry on loading the file). So if you create something in a newer version using a new feature, then open it in an older version and save, then that data will be lost. As with all software (especially very new software whose features are growing by the day!), if you are relying on ‘round-tripping’ between different machines or different contributors then it’s worth ensuring that everyone is either using the same version.

Hi Paul:

Follow-up question: will it be able to export to a previous version (like Sibelius) so if you are collaborating with someone who is on a different version, you can swap files?

There is only one version at the moment, so it’s hard to say! I expect that there will be some kind of ‘save as version X’ feature in the future, but until we get as far as working on version 2.x it’s hard to give a definitive answer as to how it will work.

I have Dorico 1.1 installed on a MacBook Pro and this installation includes Halion Sonic SE, HSO and eLicense.

I want to install the Dorico 1.1.10 upgrade. Will I have to also reinstall Halion Sonic SE and HSO? And, will Dorico overwrite the older version or will it install as a separate Dorico application? What do I have to do to keep my completed Dorico 1.1 files? Will they be included along with the Dorico 1.1.10 upgrade? Confusing…

Jack

IIRC the HALion files have not changed in the Dorico 1.1.10 installation.

Good to know about Halion Sonic SE files Derek. So, do I just download/install Dorico 1.1.10 and than delete Dorico 1.1?

Jack

You don’t really have to install or uninstall anything else, just apply the update and it will work.

Thanks Romantique.