Install Dorico SE separately from Dorico Pro

I work with a composer with limited computer skills who has learned to use Sibelius for note entry. It may be possible to improve the Sib-xml-Dor process by teaching her the basics of Dorico using SE or Elements. I would like to try it out first to see what she would need to use. When I downloaded SE from the download app it said SE, but the download was the full version, which I assume would simply overwrite what I already have. Is it possible to run both versions on the same PC and if so, what would be the procedure? Thanks! Ed Roberts

Hi Ed, There’s a single Dorico application that runs according to the licence it can find. If you’ve already got Pro installed on your machine, you can get it to run as SE by holding down Ctrl/Cmd (I believe) as it starts up. (For Elements, it’s Alt/Opt)

Thanks! That worked perfectly. It never asked for a license, so I guess having the Pro license allows access to the lesser versions.

Cheers!

Ed

That’s correct. The Pro license allows you to run other versions.

One thing that will help is changing the keymapping.

I much prefer the Sibelius keybindings for noteentry so I have rebound the numpad accordingly.

Good thought! For the most part I’m ok with the Dorico numpad layout, but my composer would appreciate a Sibelius style numpad.

The setup I use is as follows… it’s basically Sib panel 1, but with a few (logical) additions. Basically the idea is that Ctrl is an intensifier.
9 = Flat
Ctrl+9 = Double Flat
8 = Sharp
Ctrl+8 = Double Sharp
7 = Nat

6 = Whole
5 = Half
4 = Quarter
3 = Eigth
2 = 16th
1 = 32nd
Ctrl+3 = 64th
Ctrl+2 = 128th
Ctrl+1 = 256th

/ = Accent
Ctrl+/ = Marcato

• = Staccato
    Ctrl+* = Staccatissmo
  • = Tenuto
    Ctrl± = Staccato Tenuto

The one binding I have (had) in Sib that I can’t duplicate in Dorico is Ctrl+. for double dot.

1 Like

There are some good reasons for sticking with the Dorico defaults rather than changing them too, of course - for example, the internal “terminology” is consistent across the app, so 6 can be used to mean quarter note during note input, when specifying the base unit of tuplets, when entering metronome marks, etc. The key commands were also carefully chosen in Dorico to be functional from a laptop without an external keypad, making it easier to use for those who don’t have one or are on the go.

1 Like