Installation Question

Daniel,

If this is covered elsewhere, I am sorry. I didn’t see it.

When Dorico is released for purchase, how will one install the software? I own a Mac Pro, and the new ones don’t come with a DVD drive anymore. And neither do the new iMacs, nor the new Macbook Pros.

Finale is going to release their next version on a Thumb drive (USB Drive, jump drive, whatever you want to call it), and not on CD/DVD. Is Steinberg looking at something similar?

Robby

Half-answering this question:

You can buy an external DVD drive for fairly cheap (I don’t know if Dorico will actually come in a DVD), but Steinberg has something called MySteinberg.

After activating your Dorico license, you can move it to either a Software-eLicenser or USB-eLicenser. By registering this eLicenser to your MySteinberg, you can download the full installers for the latest versions of all Steinberg software you have a license for, except plugins.

Alternatively you can just download the trial version. You can do this before your Dorico even arrives if you’re buying the boxed version. Having a full license automatically turns the trial into the full version.

The full Dorico installer with all Halion Sonic SE 2 and Halion Symphonic Orchestra content will be around 10 GB.

Good answer, Romantique Tp!

Dorico will ship on two DVD-ROMs, but if you don’t have a DVD-ROM drive in your computer, you will be able to download the complete package from your MySteinberg account and install it from there. The total download size will be somewhere between 9GB and 12GB.

Hopefully, installation (and download) of the halion stuff is an option, not a requirement for Dorico to work…

I haven’t personally run the Windows installer, but certainly on Mac you can choose not to install any of the sound content if you don’t want to.

As I recall, I think you have the option to install HALion or not on Windows.