Installing Cubase 6 on a Windows 8 PC after old PC blew up.

I was running Cubase 6 on a Windows 7 PC with a CI2 USB Studio. I had also purchased Halion Symphonic Orchestra. They were all registered and are recorded on the USB e-Licenser with dates in 2011. Then the PC blew up and I had to buy a new one. This runs Windows 8. Obviously I want to install all of these on the new machine but got into all sorts of deep and dark stuff when I tried. The problem seems to be that e-Licenser software was out of date and the esl code number didn’t match because of the change of machine and OS. It has got to be possible but I don’t have a clue where to start after meeting the same brick wall whatever I have tried so far. Has anyone else had a similar problem and survived?

Are you using the latest eLCC version?

If you have the licenses on the USB dongle, the machine and OS shouldn’t matter. Just install Cubase and HSO, install latest eLCC, plug in the dongle and go to work.
I do wonder what you mean by “the esl code number didn’t match…”
You aren’t talking about a Soft e-Licenser, are you?
J.L.

Sorry, I meant soft licence. I understood that the soft licence was situated on the PC hard drive. When my machine went Pop so did my hard drive. How do I get a new soft e license code for the new machine? Also, you say that I should install an up-to-date eLCC. Is this the same thing? If so, at what stage does this become available in the software installation process and how is it installed?

Regards,

Ken

In that case, click on “My Steinberg” and log in to your account. Under “Products” there is a link the says “Activation and Reactivation”. You can request a new code there. Concerning the eLCC software, I think you can install that at any time, independently. If you let the installer do it from the disk, just be sure to update it afterward.
HTH
J.L.

Well, it looks as though you were right in recommending installing an up to date eLCC. When I found out what it was, I updated and, Bingo! I could install what I wanted. I am still not sure about the soft license business. But Cubase works now so I am hoping that the update has taken care of that. Many thanks for your help. Regards Ken