instruction in part only?

Hi all,
I’m getting serious about working with parts and seem to have come across something I can’t do without a cheap cheat.

I’d like to put a text note in a part that won’t show up in the score. E.g., at a part’s page turn when there is music in the page’s last measure, then a few measures rest at the top of the next page, I want to put a note saying “time to turn page.” Obviously, this shouldn’t be in the score.

I did discover that I can make the text note in the part, and since the shift-x text notes are separately moveable, I can slide it to an inch below (or above) the page edge in the score. This will serve – but if there is a more “official” way to do this, it would be good to know.

Thanks in advance,

There are a number of us who like to be able to show something in a part that is not to appear in the score - instrument specific things, most often. One thing you can do is to select the text in the score, and set its opacity to 0% ( I think you have to go to Engrave ). Not a quick flick of a switch, but pretty fast once you get the hang of it.

Or, new in v1.2, custom scale it in the score to 0%. That way Dorico won’t make unnecessary space for it.

It would be good to unlink things like this, so that you can delete them in the score (or vv).

Or maybe a list of checkboxes in Setup mode (or Engrave?) showing in which layouts a certain marking should appear; I don’t know if that would be too unwieldy. Maybe a “Show/Hide in this layout” option in Properties?

+1

I like Stephen’s idea, makes it quite consistent with the use of the properties panel.

Anything that I can control with a keyboard shortcut or a macro works for me - I saved myself a good hour yesterday using a macro to custom scale redundant instrument change labels to 0%.

Auto generated lists are trickier in this respect (see the recent discussions on setting keyboard shortcuts to filter individual voices).

Custom scale is something I missed! Thank you for pointing it out. It solves a LOT of little issues.

Does anyone know the precise rules for what happens in score/parts with regard to this? Is it always UNlinked to parts? Or are there circumstances when it is linked?

As far as I’m aware, always unlinked. I’ve just worked through 180 pages of parts (across six instruments) and I’ve not come across a single issue with scaling to 0% (and would estimate I’ve used it in over 200 places).

Pianoleo, how are you using macros? Is there any documentation for recording or writing them? Thx!

I don’t think there is, but the macro recorder is really simple: engage it (from the Script menu), do the action you want to do, and stop recording. This will, in effect, cache a simple script that will perform the clicks you’ve performed while recording, that can be called up quickly by the shortcut assigned to Run Last Script. I assumed leo just had to engage select one item, engage Record, scale the item to zero, End Recording. Selecting any other item and hitting Run Last Script would automatically zero the scale for that item. Unfortunately, not every property is accessible to the macro yet, and it might not work on what might seem like a simple operation, but you can already do somethings with just the macro recorder.

Actually I’ve not used Dorico’s inbuilt macro feature at all. I’ve used Pulover’s Macro Creator in Windows and Keyboard Maestro on Mac.

For custom scaling, for example, I made Dorico full screen, selected an object on screen in Engrave mode, then told Macro Creator to start recording. I then took my mouse to the bottom left corner, flicked the “custom scaling switch, typed 0 into the percentage box. I then told Macro Creator to stop recording. For the sake of speed I then went back to Macro Creator and removed all of the “pause” lines. It then automatically assigned this sequence of events to the F4 key, and I spent a good proportion of that editing session selecting items and hitting F4.

That sounds rather powerful, thanks for sharing. For those not interested in 3rd party solutions, Dorico’s macro recorder can cover the case in discussion.