instrument names to page - suggestion

Daniel,

I am playing around with Dorico and am really liking it. My workflow, however, is very ingrained and takes me some time to figure things out. So far I like it, and I LOVE the output!!!

In thinking ahead and doing some playing around, I think it would be great to add the instrument names under the “Player name” in the parts and score. For percussion staves I like part names such as Percussion I, Percussion II, Percussion III, etc., and then writing the instruments that they play (e.g. cymbal, glockenspiel, snare drum) underneath.

This might also come in handy when writing for players holding multiple instruments. I am retyping parts of a musical I have just to practice using the software. In this case, 2 players, 1 of them is Flute and Piccolo, the other doubles between flute and Clarinet. Without giving too much thought (the handwriting on the original score says Flute/Picc then Flute/Clar.) I added Flute 1 and Flute 2, then added the other instruments to them. So I got Flute 1 + Piccolo and Flute 2 + Clarinet. This makes sense, until the piccolo plays first in the piece and then I have to drag the piccolo to the top stave position since it plays first. Otherwise, the piccolo enters with wrong rests displayed (Player with multiple instruments issue - Dorico - Steinberg Forums). However, doing that now creates a score that says Piccolo then Flute 2 (image below).

I would suggest that the following be accomplished using Dorico. (ignore the 2 next to the percussion part - was in a hurry to create the graphic).
Naming convention.jpg
That way I would still have Flute 1 and Flute 2 (Flute 1 that starts with piccolo and would need an annotation notated in the score that shows piccolo as the first instrument) and the naming and numbering makes sense. Or in the case of percussion the conductor would see which instruments are necessary for each player.

Just a thought…

Robby

I also get this weird bracketing now in Galley View, since Flute 1 and Flute 2 are adjacent to each other.

Screen Shot 2016-10-30 at 3.12.32 PM.png
Robby

Thanks for the suggestion re: showing the names of the instruments held by the player in the staff label. That is a good idea and something we should do in the future.

Thanks Daniel,

To also add, it would be nice to put a character name (Sally) and underneath it show what voice she is singing. Just an addition to what I shared above.

I am not sure how many suggestions/ideas you guys want us sharing, but I will continue to add/share ideas.

I am really digging this! You guys have really worked out a great program!

Robby