Instrument Tracks Don't Play Unless monitoring is Switched On

I’m sorry I don’t understand what you mean. Do you mind explaining further?

I don’t think it’s a midi channel issue :slight_smile:

so I’ve been looking for an answer to this - it’s a difficult thing to search for as the symptoms are common search terms…but I did find more threads with people reporting something similar - with no conclusion. One of the threads suggested it works again if you drag the midi to a fresh instrument track.

All I can suggest is what I would do to try to debug it if it were my PC…it’s not clear exactly how you got to those screenshots - and the devil is in the details.

delete the cubase11x64 folder
start a new project -not based on a template - a totally blank one.
create a SINGLE instrument with retrologue
does that sound trigger when you use a midi keyboard?
don’t record the pattern or import it - but add a note with the mouse
does that work as expected ?
does the problem occur on midi tracks > rack instrument (these are different from instrument tracks)

etc…keeping it as simple as possible and come at it from a different angle.

Also a small observation - make sure you use the ‘Control Room’ feature of cubase - zero reason not to use it. There is a very, very shallow learning curve but in 10 minutes it will make total sense. I agree you shouldn’t need to but maybe some kind of odd monitoring bug when not using it ?

Thank you for your suggestion, I’ll go through your instructions and report back.

1 Like

Well I have solved the issue. It turns out that it was my audio interface that was causing the issue. Its an old 2nd gen Mbox, looks like its time to retire it :joy:

I’ll just be using my PC’s internal sound card for now.

One final question has anyone had any issues with the Focusrite Scarlett Solo 3rd Gen interface?

Thank you for your help on this, especially with getting the content packs to appear where they should.

thanks for reporting back…how strange - how did you diagnose that ? I can’t see a way for it to happen…very good detective work though.

The Focusrite box is great value for the money. I think it’s one of the biggest selling interfaces so almost certainly a safe bet. I bought one for a friend to do some remote recording via VST connect - seems totally fine and no complaints.

Yeah I had the Sapphire Pro 40 a while back and it was great. Don’t need all those inputs these days so the Scarlett solo will do just fine.

I did an install on my laptop that I’m going to use as a mobile rig just on the off chance that something may be different. Once I had installed it onto the laptop it worked as expected. The only thing that was different between the two PCs was the Mbox. I’ve made sure to install the exact same Windows10 build on both machines as the newest 20H update to windows 10 does not like the iLok software (another arduous bit of detective work and problem solving :joy:)

Hopefully others see this if they’re having the same issue and it helps.

Many thanks again for your help :slight_smile:

1 Like

:+1:

great - post again if you have the issue with the ‘new’ interface :slight_smile:

FWIW ilok working fine here with 20H2 ? but maybe that’s a problem for another day !

A post was split to a new topic: Have to activate the monitor button to hear my keyboard being played