Integrate Bezier Curves into Key Editor

+1 with a similar implementation so hand drawing is still possible.

Would this even be possible with MIDI CC? It doesn’t work the same way as VST automation.

+1 yes, Please! After using Bezier with the automation lanes, my speed and efficiency with that kind of thing has been dramatically sped up. I use CC lanes a huge amount in my work, and it would be a very significant improvement to bring Bezier curves there. Let’s hope it’s coming fast – I’m totally spoiled by using them in the automation lanes and it’s a big let-down when working in the CC lanes.

+1000. This would be more useful in the key editor than anywhere else, especially when editing dynamics on orchestral VSTi’s. In response to ‘MIDI CC doesn’t work that way’ comments, there is no reason why any control method can’t be a ‘front end’ for MIDI CC (as is the case for analogue sliders etc controlling MIDI CC), the resolution would just be quantized in the box to 0-127.

Steinberg Facebook Team just confirmed under their “Use controller lanes …”-Facebook Post - integration of Bezier Curves into Key editor is on their to do list. Cheers!

Thanks for the update! And also thanks to Steinberg for finally doing this, this is like a halleluja moment!!

Snap vertically and horizontally please please, maybe with a button for that option?

+1000
Hope they will !!

Enough said this was a great addition to automation the project view, but what about integrating that into the key editor. This was one of the biggest reasons why I upgraded and then to find out it’s not in the key editor like I thought it was and the most useful, but NOPE. Get off your tail Steinberg. Love your product, but finish the job in a free upgrade and add bezier curves into the key editor THANK YOU

Please read all of the recent posts on this thread – it’s coming.

Good remark, they both are different things, CC are sometimes 1 value per note, but not more than the number in the Cubase’s PPQ setting, if think it’s 480 PPQ ( pulses per quarter note ), the VST automation are sample-accurate for VST3 plugins, so a simple copy and paste the code in the key editor will not work…

It’s possible to make something like that, but maybe not a drawing tool like the automation curve, maybe a sort of “conforming” curve that you apply on top of already recorded CC events, or really smart curves ^^ that do smart point interpolations.

But i know there is ways to control CC with an automation line, in Cubase i don’t have a solution right now, but it exist it’s sure, in Reaper there is “ReaControlMIDI”, within you can assign some CC and then use the sample-accurate automation lines to modulate them.

But if an improvement of the CC drawing and worflow is possible, i’ll not spit on a bezier curve inside a CC line :slight_smile:

Controlling MIDI CC using automation lanes is already possible in Cubase. Simply click the “v” button to the bottom left of a MIDI or Instrument track and you’ll be able to automate MIDI CCs, and even use curves. For more precision, use the In-Place Editor (Ctrl+Shift+i).

Adding automation curves required the automation system to be completely remade and modernized (one of the reasons why it took a while to be added), and to add this to the Key Editor, the controller lanes will also have to be redone.

Yes, Logic Pro and other DAWs have done it for years already.

I think we are due to an intelligent way of editing cc. Maybe we could put some points and then a keycommand would link them with a parabole, and other with a straight line.

I spend most of my time drawing cc with my mouse and my wrist suffers.

And don’t get me started on smart quantize

This is true, and is something people might not be aware of. Thanks for pointing it out!

But I need to be in the full MIDI editor for a lot of my work (large, detailed editing for scoring that is often not possible with the in-place editor).

All you try, is to prevent programmers from doing their job :wink: It seems so.

There is a difference between working in track list using inplace editor and working normally in Key Editor. And if you are musician and composer, then I should not accent how important is to do job in one place. Like one pen and one paper to draw a sketch.

I will not say it is easy to add, but it’s worth it, because of infinity “+1” here.

We all will buy an upgrade with or without Bezzier feature in Key Editor. But I think most of us are spending our time to tell what would be great to add to this world’s best DAW.

As a programmer and developer of many user interfaces I don’t understand, why bezziers are implemented in one place and miss in other which is the same important.

The history a little bit…
Does anybody use parabolic line to draw a curved sequence of CC in Key Editor? This feature was in Cubase SX 3 (2005). It’s like Windows 95 now. The same about Merge MIDI in Loop. And Edit in Place is from the same stone age. Are you serious? After 13-15 years when workflow should be times faster, we can use a stone hammer to carve CC changes on the wall of cave.

BTW, I love Cubase and it is Best DAW. But don’t push users to suppress a need of logical evolution of their tools, okay? :wink:

I’m not telling you that this shouldn’t be added, I’m explaining that this is possible but couldn’t be done yet for technical reasons. This is a pretty obvious feature request.

Merge MIDI in Loop is basically Render in Place for MIDI, and the In-Place Editor will continue to be very useful for many things even after they add bezier curves to the Key Editor. I have no idea what you’re on about.

+1

+1

HOW TO USE THE NEW AUTOMATION WITH MIDI CC:

Nice Vid from Greg Ondo!

:bulb:

It is surely possible in a graphical way, but otherwise you´re right, the limited resolution of MIDI from 0 to 127 would only make easier to draw that kind of curve, but the resolution would be of the same MIDI range of 0 to 127, and hence jump from one value to another.

All the best.

Roger