Intel Gen 12/13 and Windows 11

Hi everyone, I’m building a new system and would like to build a gen 12 or 13. But I’ve read that there’s issues with these intel chips and cubase.

I’m dedicated to cubase so I’m thinking of building a gen 11.

Anyone have any info or insight on this? I’d appreciate any info.

Aug

This question has been discussed in length in several threads already, like this one.

In short, don’t rely on old architectures. If you want to spend money on a new system get the latest.

1 Like

These latest Intel CPU’s seem to have issues indeed, but especially in combination with certain MoBo’s.
If I were in the market for a new PC system, I’d investigate in ASUS MoBo’s. This brand has a good reputation.
I used to be a ‘Gigabyte’ customer, but not anymore …

I think one should not be afraid to buy the latest generation Intel CPU. For me a PC has to be ‘future proof’. And buying the highest possible spec’d system can buy give you that advantage.
Those 11th gen Intel CPU’s require a Socket 1200. So good luck with that … Unless you have budget considerations, but I always buy the latest iteration of the available technology.
Suggestion is an Intel 13900 series on an ASUS 790 chipset MoBo.
Don’t underestimate the benefits of a good graphics card (suggestion could be RTX A4000 series)

Have fun configuring and discovering!
Cheers from Belgium :smiley:

Very short summary:

• Any Post prior to November is probably inaccurate experience because a) major update to Thread Director in Windows 11, b) BIOS updates to motherboards → both of which have major positive impact on the issues impacting DAWS
  • If you search for 13900 in the forum and restrict the date to post 1st Feb (Search results for '13900 after:2023-02-01 order:latest' - Steinberg Forums) then you will find a range of current experience - both problematic and happy at start, and happy endings with BIOS updates. Lots of useful information and actual experience in there. Only a modest amount of “noise”
  • Motherboard (BIOS) and RAM make a big difference. I have a ASUS ROG Strix z790-e gaming and it worked on day one with Cubase. Another user (you will find their thread in that search above) had a Gigabyte motherboard and it required a few very recent BIOS updates to resolve their issue (all the BIOS updates indicate memory related changes).

You will need to:

• Use Steinberg or Windows Maximum PErformance power scheme
  • If using a NVIDIA graphics card set it to Maximum Performance

Both of those settings can be set to automatically turn on/off when Cubase runs.

Core parking doesn’t seem to be necessary - but reported experience varies.

3 Likes

Well it’s 4/1/2023 (no april fools on this reply) and my systems has def issues. Really frustrating. Build is 13700 cpu, windows 11 (fully updated).

What MoBo?

What I check regularly is the Device Manager. In View menu, enable ‘Show hidden devices’ and under Software devices, uninstall all ‘ghost’ or unnecessary devices.

I will do that. Thank you. I believe I found an answer here on the forum for my issue. The audio output bus that’s installed w cubase has to be deleted on some systems. I did it, recreated a new bus and it seems to be normal now. My only concern is if my view is more hopeful than objective.

That said, you recommendation probably should be done on all my pc’s.

Thank you Fantom.

Oh and the motherboard is Asus H770 Plus 4d (something like that)

I do use a PC with Asus MoBo as well. There is that thing called ‘Armory Crate’ that is really useful for installing different system related drivers.

Cheers!

Yea mine uses that as well. Supplied all my drivers as mine didn’t come with a cd/dvd.