Intel i7-980X Extreme Edition 3.33GHz Six-Core ???

I am getting close to taking the plunge and replacing my 2 year old DAW CPU (Two 2.66GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon E5430 {for a total of 8 cores}) for the new insanely powerful Intel Core i7-980X Extreme Edition 3.33GHz Six-Core Processor. Do you think I would notice a significant upgrade? I need moor CPU power and do not want to use 2 PC’s.

Thanks!

Core i7 is much faster; new Mac Pro is a good investment.

I’m sticking with a PC, though. No offense to MACs, but I’ve been using a PC for 20 years now (after retiring my old Atari ST) and I have absolutely no desire to switch platforms.

I use a 980x and it is tremendous. It’s also stable as all get out. I run it over-clocked to 4.25 (actually had it up to 4.62), and it runs absolutely rock solid.

I still would like to know, though, if it will get me a lot more noticeable CPU performance over my current CPU setup (Two 2.66GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon E5430 {for a total of 8 cores}). If i can get some verification that if will give me significantly more performance it will be worth to me spending the $1000 for it. I NEED MORE POWER! :slight_smile:

Check this:
http://www.adkproaudio.com/benchmarks.cfm

Cheers,
Bernard

If you want to go download the main dsp project from that link, I can tell you what I get on the multi band test. Remember, I’m significantly OCed. Which, is very easy with the 980x.

Using the Cubendo-DSP-C5 project, with samples at 252 (5.7 ms) on my Aurora, I am able to use all 40x6 tracks of the multi-band compressor test. I have quite a bit of breathing room left too. Again, rock solid stable. At about 75% on the ASIO meter.

Made it to 50 x 6 Multiband Compressors. 90% Usage … No overloads.

by the way, if you manage to get all 240 instances running and you start duplicating a Sine track to add more load, make sure you convert the event to a real clip on each duplicated track. Otherwise your not adding load.

Hello

My Q8400 is about to crap under Komplet 7 (Kontak 4) so I’m looking for a kick ass setup that have been tested by real user like you guy’s no sale rep or Joe know it all so Can I have you exact spec ( Brand,Model, Rev, ect ect ect)

CPU: Intel i7-980X Extreme Edition 3.33GHz
MOBO:
RAM:
HD: ( SSD ?)
CASE:

Thanks and have nice day

MOBO: Gigabyte X58A-UD9

RAM: G.SKILL Trident+ Turbulence II 12GB (3 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2000 (PC3 16000) Desktop Memory Model F3-16000CL9T-12GBTDD

HD: Crucial RealSSD C300 CTFDDAC256MAG-1G1 2.5" 256GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
WDC WD2001FASS - 2TB drive from Western Digital

Case: Cooler Master HAF-X

OH MY GOD!!! I tried the same test and my PC literally died at 11x6 tracks with 256 buffer (8.6ms) - I use a Presonus Firestudio, btw. Even when I changed the buffer to a pathetic 4096 my audio died 100% with 14x6 tracks. Needless to say, I AM SO GETTING THE i7-980x Extreme Edition!!! $1,000 is chump-change compared to the performance benefits I really need.

THANKS GUYS!!! MERRY CHRISTMAS!!! :smiley:

Thanks again, JMCecil! I may just get exactly what you have except go for the GA-X58A-UD5 MB so it will fit into my PCAudiolabs case.

heh, I had to do the low latency test just for fun. At 48 samples (1.1ms ) I can get 35x6. However, the ASIO load rapidly fluctuates from 60% to 85%. And, I get the occasional dropped packet when one of the CPU cores maxes out, even though ASIO is not peeking. Still fairly impressive to get 210 multi-bands across 35 tracks at almost 1ms latency. Of course summer 2012 that will be pathetic and summer 2013 will barely run Cubase 7.

The UD9 is an oversized board. It is not ATX compatible. I believe the UD7 is ATX sized.

I will go for the GA-X58A-UD5 or UD7 (I’m not sue which on will be better yet) so it will fit into my PCAudiolabs case.

Random related question–can you overclock a stock PC (HP/Dell) with a 980x?

I built a PC once. It was a disaster. And I’m pretty technical. It ended up being more expensive, more noisy, and less reliable tha a stock Dell or HP. I changed cases 3 times to try to reduce heat and noise, bought a high-rated Zalman CPU fan, and still no improvement. It was a bad enough experience that I don’t want to go there again.

(So… hence my question)

Typically, the OEM resellers use a custom version of the BIOS of the motherboard that will stop you from OCing. However, you can usually find a BIOS on the intertubes that will open the options back up for you. Of course, based on your past record for “do it yourself” PC wars, that may not be such a good idea. They lock the BIOS for exactly the reasons you ran into. More OC means more heat. They really design those things to work exactly as configured. Also, OC requires higher rated, more stable power supplies. The components that go into those systems are typically generic. They are not designed to take the load required by OCing.

got it. well 6 cores at 3.33GHz is still a big improvement over my Q6600…