Intel Xeon W-2335 okay for Dorico?

I have a sudden and time sensitive opportunity to upgrade my PC. Current one seems fine but Steinberg told me that my Cubase install is no longer supported because my proc is tool old! I guess it’s about time as this rig is almost 6 years old.

It’s a workstation rig with an Intel Xeon W-2335 proc and a Quadra RTX 4000 card. I know this is likely a dumb question but is there any reason I can’t run Dorico (or Cubase for that matter) on this proc? I was trying to search for ‘Can I use a Workstation as a desktop rig’ and there were a few mentions of ‘yes but make sure your software will run on it’.

Thanks for any help. If anyone wants to chime in with any opinions of this rig, please do.

Can’t speak to the hardware (but it looks adequate). But why don’t you download a Dorico/Cubase trial and see how it performs?

1 Like

Thanks for the response. I don’t have the machine in front of me - this is just a deal I can grab if I act fast! Only a few hours left to commit, unfortunately. I’m sure the hardware is way more than adequate in terms of spec. I just want to make sure I understand the comment made by this computer forum person who answered a question about using workstations as ‘normal’ desktop rigs, when he said ‘should be fine, just make sure your software works with that processor’. I don’t know enough to know what he meant.

In my (albeit slightly limited) experience, workstations lack lots of storage, but not processing power. If your processor runs Win11 (which yours does) and you have decent RAM (which you do) you should be fine. Just add a 1Tb SSD for your sample libraries!

1 Like

Haha the one I’m looking at already has the 1TB SSD upgrade.

In fact I think I’m going to grab it. If for some strange reason it can’t work as my main desktop rig, I’m sure I can find someone who can put it to use and I likely won’t lose $$.

I’ve used a Xeon processor in the past, and it screams.

1 Like

That’s all I need to hear, Dan! : )

Xeons do use a lot of energy, though; considerably more than the desktop equivalents.

1 Like