Inter-App Audio on multiple tracks

Hello,

I have been using SampleTank as my inter-app audio and would like to use several different sounds from that app in one song I am recording in Cubasis. Each time I start a new track it tells me I can not use the same inter-app audio again.
How would I go about recording in Cubasis using multiple sounds from Sampletank in the same song?

Thanks

I Don’t own sample tank so cannot give exact steps but you will be able to select different midi channels for different sounds

Then in Cubasis add an audio track with Sampletank as the input.
Then create MIDI tracks sending to Sampletank on the relevent MIDI channel for the sounds you have set up in sampletank.

When I have sampletank connected via the inter-app function for a track I use a midi keyboard to record live onto the cubasis track, I’d like to do that on multiple tracks changing the sound each time and recording each onto a track in cubasis. I apologize but I am new to midi recording. When I set up an audio track with sampletank as the input, it seems to only accept sampletank with a mid track set up and then it looks like sampletank will be locked into that track. Therefore if I create another midi track it tells me sampletank is already being used. I am concerned that even though there are many sounds I can use on sampletank you can’t use it on more than one track in cubasis

Hi HarveyMap,

Thanks for your message.

Apple’s Inter-App Audio format is limited to a single connection per loaded app.
Possible workarounds are to use Cubasis’ freeze function or to establish virtual MIDI connections.

Sampletank loaded as a multitimbral instrument via IAA

• Create a MIDI track and load Sampletank via IAA
  • Go to Sampletank and establish Live Mode
  • Create a second MIDI track in Cubasis and set it to “No instrument”
  • Set MIDI Output to “SampleTank Full” and choose the MIDI channel as desired (e.g. Ch2)
  • Follow step 3 and 4 to establish optional MIDI tracks to trigger additional Sampletank instruments

Important:
Virtual MIDI tracks cannot be converted to audio tracks iOS-wise.
Once you have established and finalized a multitimbral project, a possible workaround is to freeze IAA tracks piece by piece.

Best,
Lars

Thank you Lars
I’ll be trying out your recommendation over the weekend, I’ll let you know how I get on

Hi HarveyMap,

Thanks for your message.
Please keep me updated about your progress.

Thanks
Lars

Hi Lars,
I share the same problem that HarveyMap had back in January 2017. I followed your steps:

• Create a MIDI and load Sampletank via IAA
  • Go to Sampletank and establish Live Mode
  • Create a second MIDI track in Cubasis and set it to “No instrument”
  • Set MIDI Output to “SampleTank Full” and choose the MIDI channel as desired (e.g. Ch2)
  • Follow step 3 and 4 to establish optional MIDI tracks to trigger additional Sampletank instruments
    Instead of Sampletank I’m using Cubasis, but it should still work though, correct?
    My problem is after I add a third track I lose the previous track. The MIDI data is there but I can’t hear Track 2…Also, if I track freeze it does not convert my virtual track to audio. Amy suggestions from anyone would be appreciated.
    Lars, I’d love your input!
    Thanks in advance,
    TY88

Hi TY88,

The steps stated above describe how to make use of SampleTank’s multi timbral mode in Cubasis.
Please let me have more infos about your use case (“instead of Sampletank I’m using Cubasis…”).

Thanks,
Lars

Here’s how it should work but does not.

Load one audio track instance of SampleTank In track 1
Create as many audio tracks as you wish to record from sample tank when needed.
Arm track 1 and record input from sample tank
After your done go to track 3 arm and now record from sample tank to this track etc… and so on

Sample tank is you audio source
All other tracks receive audio from sampe tank when they are selected and have chosen sample tank as its input. (No need for multiple instance) and Cubasis should not complain about us selecting SampleTank or any other audio app mulible times as an audio track input.
Also this is been along time coming and am very disappointed we don’t have this by now, is the ability to send an audio of an app to say channels 3-4, 5-6 etc…
Then on another track choose channels 3-4 or any other as an input.
This wold solv a lot of problems

The method Lars described doesn’t seem to work for me. Notes appear on the 2nd Sample Tank track but they do not produce a sound. I haven’t found a way to do that.

Hi Rakiehl,

Gave it a check a second ago, these are the steps again…

• Create a Cubasis project with 4 MIDI tracks
  • Set tracks 2 to 4 to “No Instrument”, via tapping the individual piano icons in the track list
  • Afterwards assign track 1 to SampleTank
  • In the SampleTank app, tap the pad icon in the top menu bar, to activate Live Mode
  • In Cubasis, set the MIDI output routing of Track 2 to SampleTank Full, and choose Ch 2
  • Do the same for track 3 and 4, and choose the appropriate channels

Once done, you will be able to trigger the individual Sample Tank instruments in Cubasis.
Please let me know if this helps to solve the problem.

Best,
Lars

Lars,
I’m afraid that this doesn’t work for me. After following your instructions, I still get an error message when I try to go to Sample Tank on a second track. If I somehow change the instrument in one track (I’ve tried various means to this end), the instrument changes in all tracks.

In other words, the software doesn’t let me access and incorporate different instruments in ST in different tracks.

Should I sent you some screen shots, or set up a Skype call? RK

Hi rakishly,

I’ve created a short video for you, which can be downloaded from here (available for 7 days):

In this regard, it might be helpful to have a look at our forum article Limitations of Inter-App Audio also. In general, the Audio Unit format can be more or less seen as Apple’s successor to the IAA format, which also provides much more flexibility. Luckily many app vendors release their instruments and effects plug-ins in this format.

Best,
Lars

I followed the video, thanks. But although I see notes on the tracks when I record, I don’t hear sounds except for Track 1. I’m running Sample Tank CS not Sample Tank Full. Is that the problem?

No, it IS working now, after following the video again. Great. Here’s the next question: how to create a track in sample tank live that is different from the 3 default instruments. I “browse” select one (say cello) but that cell does not turn back to red like the cells for the channels that work and they do not play in cubase. I’m guessing that the cell where I’ve selected an instrument (the ones that remain gray not red) need to be “closed” in some way but I haven’t found a way to do that. Thanks much …

All seems working fine for multi between ST and Cubasis. Howver, my iRig I/O 49 is triggering CH1 regardless of which track I choose. That’s not the case for the Cubasis onscreen keyboard, which switches to the ST instrument associated with the track as the track is changed (desired mode of operation). Is there a way to make the iRig trigger the selected track (meaning to ‘follow’ the selected tract – I’d assume I can change the track that iRig is set to trigger from CH1 to a different track, but I wouldn’t want to need to keep doing that, I’d like the instrument to move with the selected track, just as it does with the onscreen Cubasis keyboard. Thanks Richard

Hi,

Thanks for your message.
Please have a look at the IK Multimedia or Audiobus forum, which should be helpful to have your Sample Tank related questions answered!

Thanks,
Lars

I’m looking under Steinberg English forums but do not see forum with the name IK Multimedia or Audiobus forum. Are they located somewhere else? Thanks RAK

Hi RAK,

Thanks for your message.

Please find the forum of our IK Multimedia friends right here.

Hope that helps!

Lars

Before I do a lot of digging, can you help me with this? As of now, I’ve found a way to listen to the track I want while playing those I want too. Simply choose CH1 as the input to that track and not the others. In this way I’ve created a project. But when I go to adjust the relative volumes of the tracks I find that nothing works, in other words the mixers don’t adjust the volume of the tracks (except for Track 1, which scales all tracks together), nor do the box adjustments for individual tracks. A related question is how to introduce dynamics with a slider during or after recording a track, I haven’t tried to map a slider to a specific track volume yet, but want to do so. I’m sure these are very common things people want to do … Thanks, RAK