Interpretting the ASIO meter in V8

Trying to get my head around the ASIO meter and whether V8 with ASIOGuard is using considerably more CPU power.
Of the 2 meters how should one interpret what is being metered ? I am thinking of scanning all the new VST’s and effects into my old V6 and doing some comparative tests.Should V6 be similar to V8 with ASIO Guard off. Anything else to consider and try for CPU efficiency? Thanks.

it is my understanding that V6 should be similar with AISO Guard off. AISO guard is a new feature added in Cubase 7: https://www.steinberg.net/en/support/knowledgebase_new/show_details/kb_show/details-on-asio-guard-in-cubase-and-nuendo

As for CPU efficiency, it depends on what you are doing and your bottle neck, but please note that AISO performance is not related to only CPU efficiency. For example, I have a project now where I’m using less than half of my computers CPU, but Cubase AISO is maxing out. Check out this thread for more information on the difference between real time peaks and CPU: https://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=226&t=89134

Personally, I ignore the ASIO meter. When you’re audio starts crackling/Breaking up, you’ve got a problem. Otherwise, forget about it. It does not seem to be that well correlated to how many plugins you can run. i.e. add a small amount of plugins and the meter goes straight up to 70% but then you can potentially add many times more plugins and it will still play without any trouble. It’s quite variable depending on what plugins you are using and what your routing structure is i.e. Groups/FX tracks/Master bus processing etc.

Thanks. I have changed CPU and installed new synths in the interim without knowing their CPU hogging credentials so it is hard to gauge what is happening along with the newer metering type. As you say I should just try working and hope for no drop outs. I only had a few things running and was surprised at the high level of ASIO/CPU activity.

I would say that if you’re recording analogue instruments, i.e. using analogue inputs then you should not ignore the ASIO meters because you may get glitches in recorded audio. And speaking from experience it’s not fun getting rid of glitches when the artist isn’t available to redo!! But if you’re only doing MIDI say with VSTi’s then you don’t need to worry. Similarly if you’re only doing demos or preproduction work, you can ignore the glitches.

I found that switching on Cubase Power Scheme lowered the ASIO meter on my system (using V8.5.10) and then switching on ASIOGuard with the High setting lowered it further. The audio priority Boost didn’t do much except when I used an old 32bit plugin and then it made it worse, so I left it as Normal. Generally I’m tracking at <2ms latency and its reasonably smooth. The worst culprits for increasing ASIO are 32bit plugins which I’m running through VSTBridge, so I avoid playing these live and render them down swiftly then disable the plugin.

The ASIO meter represents the time take to process the next audio buffer relative to the time taken to play the current audio buffer. I.e. 50% ASIO meter means that it takes half the time to process than it does to play it.

Mike.

I think I have narrowed this down to a synth it seems to be playing nicely in a new track I started. Good point about the recording side. This is predominantly electronic music with the occasional vocal recording.