Introducing the new Articulate Map: complete Dorico support of most of the VSL Super Package

This seems very interesting since I owe most of the VI libraries. What I would like to know, but cannot find much info about, is if it is possible to use this with VE Pro and more specific with VE Pro as standalone server (on the same pc in my case)? Although I think it’s not a big problem and my machine can run it pretty smooth with all instruments as separate instances in Dorico, I highly prefer to have this organized in VE Pro with every instrument group in their own instance.
I tried the demo for 2nd Flute and very much like the idea behind the whole project, but there the instrument is loaded as one instance of VI pro, so I’m afraid all instruments are loaded seperately, which doesn’t really help with a clear overview.

Yes, it will work with VE Pro. You’d need to have a stable template so that instruments always have the same instance and channel. Then you can modify the end points in Articulate and re-save

Thanks, I always work from a template, so that’s okay. Is it in the user manual how to set this up?

Hello Menno_Bosgra,
the included Playback Templates indeed instantiate the instruments directly in Dorico, since this is the most direct and convenient way. As you write, for experienced users VE pro can offer certain advantages (e.g. in combination with MIR pro). Yet, VE pro users generally have their own specific templates, (often mix-and-matching various libraries) so it is unfortunately inherently impossible to release a VE pro based template that fits the needs of most VE pro users.
As wcreed wrote, Articulate Presets and the universal Articulate Map are compatible with VE pro and many users integrated Articulate Presets into their particular VE pro template. So far there is no dedicated section in the manual on how to set up a VE pro based template, yet, but you would merely need to create Endpoints for the instruments in your template: i.e. instantiating VI pro instances in VE pro and loading the corresponding Articulate Presets, as well as specifying the channels on which your instruments are in VE pro and assigning the Articulate Map in Dorico’s Endpoint Setup, then saving your template and the Endpoint Configuration(s) and eventually including the latter into your Dorico Playback Template. In general setting up Endpoints in Dorico is quite easy and flexible, and you can check out that this works as desired using the example instruments included in the demo.
All the best
Kai

Hello Kai,

Thanks for responding so swiftly!
Using VE Pro as host takes a lot of pressure of the system, so I highly prefer to be able to use it that way. With your description how to set this up, it shouldn’t be too much of a hassle.

You’ll need to use the VST2 version of VE Pro, so keep that in mind setting up your instances

why vst2? There must be something I haven’t been following!

Because Program Change is used to switch matrices. PC is not available in VST3

We have just released the two new packages Articulate Presets for Woodwinds S and Brass S, covering both the VSL Special Woodwinds and Brass Collection libraries as well as the Single Instrument libraries Clarinet 2, Bassoon 2, Trumpet Bb (both standard and muted) and Flugelhorn.

Therefore, in addition to the full Strings Bundle, Articulate Presets cover now also the entire content of the Woodwinds and Brass Bundle. Correspondingly all contemporary orchestral instruments included in the world’s largest virtual orchestra are now fully accessible in Dorico!

3 Likes

ok – I do now remember this being discussed

To give more VSL users the chance to check out Articulate Presets, we have added the complete Articulate Preset for Cellos S to the free demo content. Thereby the new demo Playback Template implements now 5 Dorico solo/section players (Flute (solo & section), Viola (section with full dimension control), Violoncello (solo and section)).
So if you are using any of the VSL Woodwinds 1 or 2, Solo, Chamber or Dimension Strings libraries and want to see how the entire orchestral content included in the VSL Vienna Instruments series is implemented into Dorico via the unique Articulate Map, simply download the full-featured demo package:

After importing the appropriate Playback Template (standard or full) into Dorico you can immediately play your own scores (while other instruments are taken from the HSO) and check out the comprehensive features of the implementation without any restrictions. Enjoy!

1 Like

Hello @symphonic-riot,
Thanks for providing these presets! As an owner of VSL Symphonic Cube Full, Dimension Strings and Dimension Brass, and Voices (and of course Dorico), I’m really interested in your presets.

I have a few questions for you:

• Your link above https://www.articulate-preset.com/media doesn’t seem to work: instead https://www.articulate-preset.com/demos is working.
  • You stated that a completely revised version 2 of the Dorico Articulate Map was out: do you mind rendering Akinola / Dorico Prelude with this new version for a comparison with the previous one please?
  • Do you plan to provide presets for VSL voices ( Choir and possibly Solo Voices)?

Thank you!
Regards,
Gil.

Hello Gil,

Thanks so much for informing us about the wrong link, we fixed it and it works again. I hope the Dorico demo itself worked fine.

The rendition of the Akinola score on our website already uses the new Articulate Map as well as Dimension Brass, while the previous version, posted above, used the old Map and Symphonic Cube Brass.

Voices is on top of the list of potential future extensions :blush:.

All the best

Kai

3 Likes

Hello,
I wanted to test the Articulate Map demo before its price increase but went into a problem: Vienna Instrument Pro is not in the VIs popup in Play mode.

As far as I understand, VI Pro hasn’t a VST3 version (on the contrary to Vienna Instrument, not the pro): is there a way to make it available?
Can it be done through a VST white list?

Thanks for your help!
Regards,
Gil.

Hello Gil,
yes VI pro is VST2, like many other plug-ins (including the VSL Synchron Player). As you write, it can simply be white-listed in Dorico and everything will work fine (the procedure is also described in the Setup section of the manual).
Best regards
Kai

are you sure, Kai? VI Pro is only VST2 but the Synchron player and piano have VST3 versions (which would normally be preferred to the VST2 ones). Of course your maps are designed for VI Pro.

Incidentally, the latest release of Dorico, v3.5.12 has supposedly fixed the issue of VST2’s being blacklisted on occasion so putting VI Pro on the white list, if necessary, should work fine.

Maybe for some reason I only have the VST2 version installed, but I had to whitelist it in Dorico:
Screen Shot 2021-03-31 at 9.42.19 AM

by default both vst 3 and 2 versions of the Synchron player are installed (although of course it’s possible that you for some reason didn’t actually install vst3). It’s irrelevant if a vst2 is listed as blocked when there is a version 3 available. It’s exactly the same on my installation. The actual listing is often confusing and is only useful if you need to specifically whitelist a vst2 because it’s all that’s available. Perhaps this whole business will be tidied up in a future update.

Hello,
Thanks for all the answers, @symphonic-riot I don’t know why I didn’t see the chapter in your documentation about white listing in Dorico (perhaps midnight was too late for me ;-))!

So I tested the demo and it is quite impressive (what a work, congrats)!
Just a few small bugs on playing a staff but notes from another staff are highlighted and a problem when 2 articulations are following one after another, but I have to check more…

As an owner of Cube full, Dimension Strings I and Dimension Brass I (and also a few MIRx), I’m gonna get 3 articulate presets: Symphonic Cube Full, Strings D and Brass D :slight_smile:

Thank you and congrats again for your great work @symphonic-riot, I hope discovering more articulate presets from you!

Regards,
Gil.

1 Like

Hello David,

thanks for clarifying! I don’t use the Synchron Player much so far and was not aware of this.

Hello Gil,

thanks so much!
I am sorry if this wasn’t clear enough: the section is in the dedicated Dorico manual - not the main Articulate Presets manual.
Sorry to hear you had some problems. I am a bit puzzled about the problem you are having with the different staffs and highlighting. The playback of different staffs should be independent in Dorico - so far we did not have problems with this ourselves or got corresponding feedback from our users. Please send us a private message with a bit more details so that we can look into the issues you had.

Thanks and best regards

Kai