Introducing the new Articulate Map: complete Dorico support of most of the VSL Super Package

Hi @symphonic-riot and @patrom,
Thank you very much for your replies! :slight_smile:

So, @symphonic-riot, you recommend VI Pro Player, instead of Synchron Player?
Is Synchron player superior in any aspect over the VI Pro player?
I really need to decide very soon which version of Dimension Strings worth the most.
For Divisi in general Iā€™m using the Divisi function in Dorico and if I need to have the divisions condensed, then Iā€™m using the Divisi condensing function.
Somehow, I find the Synchron-ized version a bit more realistic sounding, compared to the VI Pro version. But I maybe wrong?!

@patrom, Iā€™ve checked the topic you shared, but would be nice if someone shares some Pros and Cons details about both Synchron and VI Pro Players.
The Automatic Voice separation in VI Pro is a serious advantage. But I own only the Synchron Harp and VE Pro 7 fro VSL, so I donā€™t have enough experience with both Synchron and VI Pro players.

Thank you very much! :slight_smile:

Best wishes,
Thurisaz :slight_smile:

As for libraries and software there is no best, it boils down to your taste and needs.
So I suggest you do some research on the VSL forum.
One thing to remember is the Synchron is the new player and all new releases are for the Synchron player.

@patrom, thank you for the reply! :slight_smile:
Well Iā€™m aware that the Synchron Player is the new one. Iā€™m asking here because I need this library
mainly for working in Dorico. And all Dorico users who are using the Dimension Strings Bundle are here. Iā€™ve read some topics about both players on the VSL forum, but most of them from 2019 - 2020. I donā€™t know how improved are those two players since then. But in the posts the people mostly recommend VI Pro especially for the Dimension Strings Bundle.
There is an Expression Maps set and PT created by @symphonic-riot, but it works with the VI Pro Player. I havenā€™t found any for Synchron anywhereā€¦ In the topic shared by you Iā€™ve seen only various strategies which is helpful.

Thank you once again! :slight_smile:

Best regards,
Thurisaz

Hi Thurisaz,

When I asked Andi at VSL he said they had no plans to create Dim Strings EMs for Dorico, and that I could use the EMs for Cubase. It made me wonder if they were planning to do a new full Synchron version, though since they just did Elite Strings thatā€™s perhaps unlikely.

Hi @wcreed,
I asked the guys at VSL about new library with proper Divisi like Dimension Strings Bundle, but even fuller in articulations and equal in number of stringed instruments to the Synchron Strings Pro.
They answered me that they donā€™t have plans to create such library.
I think Johannes, or Andy was the guy who answered me that question?!

Best wishes,
Thurisaz :slight_smile:

Hello Thurisaz,
although VI pro was developed for Silent Stage libraries, like the Dimension Strings, while the Synchron Player was developed for multi-mic Synchron libraries, both work with the Dimension Strings and the choice of the player is indeed a matter of personal preferences, so it is hard to make general recommendations.
Probably the biggest advantage of the Synchron Player is that (even with VI pro being free now) it is still the cheaper option, since it already includes the Synchron Stage MIRx reverb, whereas in VI pro it has to be purchased separately. However, in VI pro you can move the entire orchestra with a single click to any of the other (very different) MIRx venues which changes the sound completely and this is in my opinion a huge advantage of VI pro :blush: (while in the Synchronized case this huge freedom of the Silent Stage libraries has been unnecessarily restricted to a single venue).
The Synchron Player is more colorful and easier to use to build your own presets in standard cases (since it does many things automatically), but at the same time it is more restrictive and does not allow to manually tweak/fix things if the automatic result is not ideal (and we used this in the Articulate Presets to match volumes, smooth transitions, ā€¦). Although theoretically the Synchron Player can do this just as well, in practice only VI proā€™s flexible matrix structure and its resource efficiency allowed us to implement the continuous control of several musical parameters simultaneously (2D/3D control). Moreover, in addition to the auto-voicing, VI pro offers other exclusive features, like the APP sequencer which provides tons of trills, runs, and phrases, making up for the fact that these have not been recorded in the Dimension libraries.
When you use either of these players in Dorico (with presets that implement the entire library and a complete Expression Map) it does not matter much which player is ā€œunder the hoodā€ and in principle you never have to open the actual player. The Articulate Presets packages for the Dimension libraries include two full sets of presets: Section Presets that include all players (in all available combinations) and allow you to handle divisi conveniently on a single stave, and Individual Player presets to handle each Player separately the way you are currently working in Dorico (as far as I understand).
Hope this helps.
Best regards
Kai

1 Like

We have just released a huge update to Articulate Presets and the Articulate Map described in detail in this thread.