Invisible content/gaps for education material

Hi, is there a way to get the attached example from Sibelius (screenshot) to Dorico 4?
In Sibelius you can hide many things easily to produce gaps in a score (grey notes), for example for ear training. I already learned that I could scale notes etc. manually down to 1 , but that is complicated: there should be a better way to do it?

You can make notes translucent by changing their colour in the Common group of Properties, perhaps?

Hi Daniel, this doesn’t do the job entirely: see result attached. Beams, accidentals … are still there
Slice 1.pdf (17.3 KB)

Maybe duplicate the flow, with the notes included in the first flow (as an answer key), and deleted in the second flow?

Maybe hide stems and hide accidentals where necessary?

I’m not in front of my computer to check, but I recall doing something similar with slash notation before. Since slash notation will cover the notes but still allow them to play back, I think I hid them with slash notation then changed the small slash glyph to just be blank. I’ll check later today when I’m back home, but that might be an option.

1 Like

The slash trick sorta works. If I start with this …

… after applying Slash notation with the small slash deleted, I can get this:

The catch is that the eighths attached to the beam needed to be hidden by changing the Alpha channel to 0. (And then you need to remember to export in color to have the Alpha channel settings have an effect.) The spacing obviously is the slash spacing and not the original music spacing, but it still plays back correctly. Anyway, it might be an option.

1 Like