Invisible Elements

I wouldn’t ever say there is no interest in modern notational practices from this board. Just maybe a need to clarify (with the links being an easy option) what you wanted and what you meant by “modern” - given the different ways that the term has been used re: music. Head scratching != threatened.

Giving Ms. Gould’s book as an example followed by the statement “I’m not really very particular about notation generally…” is a little confusing though. I think she might hit you with her own book for that. :slight_smile:

I appreciate the kind of help the members above took their time to give you, given that (supposing you were right and the dev team agreed with you) no complex software changes instantly and we all need to get work done today. (Surprisingly, my most amazing ideas are not universally revered and instantly acted upon by everyone as genius. I await ridiculously opulent remuneration.)

Well said.

Hi gd,

Not sure what your comment adds to this.
I appreciated many of the comments - some less so.

I’m well aware that software doesn’t change overnight.
Like I said, have been using notation software since the original Finale in 1988… Dorico is the best so far… and I’m used to doing workarounds.

Have a nice day,

S

I would like to see this as well. in reality players don’t always play a specific dynamic at a specific loudness. Therefore I want to sometimes add a dynamic just to make a specific instrument stand out/ make it not get burried under sound of other instruments. I would love to have the option to both hide a dynamic, and have a distinction between the visual dynamic and the actual playback. Is there some workaround that I’m missing? I’m not that experienced with notation software. (also I’m not good at imagining music so it’s really essential to have good feedback from the playback engine + I don’t want to go into post-production with DAW’s, it’s way too time-consuming.) To sum up: I would just like a easy to use system to tweak dynamics without it getting to much in the way of the creative process.

With kind regards,

Sander

One more thing. You can never make an automatic system that just does everything everybody wants. I personally don’t see how adding some functionality would hinder those people who just want to use the basics.

How would this work intuitively? I right click a (selection of) dynamic(s). I go to the dropdown menu “dynamics”. Here I can select “make (in)visible”. Musescore does something like this. It’s not a requirement to tweak this, therefore it doesn’t detract from the dorico philosophy to make the software as intuitive as possible. Also there would be a dropdown menu with “sounds as: insert dynamic” Or even a slider of some sort, but this wouldn’t work with NotePerformer i guess. This can also be added for individual notes. This would be super helpful to make a representative version of a score without having to go through all the hassle with DAW’s and sound libraries. I want to be a composer, not a music producer.

Hidden dynamic changes can be made via the dynamics lane in the Key Editor. This feature was added after the 2020 portion of this discussion.

1 Like

Awesome. That solves part of the problem at least. I guess I should have researched better