iPad Dorico freezes when using pencil

When using Apple Pencil ipad Dorico freezes. Usually happens when altering things in the properties panel. Only way to unfreeze it is to restart Dorico. This does not happen when using my finger. Any help please?

1 Like

Welcome to the forum, @crd1904. We’ve had reports of this from one other user, but so far I’ve been unable to reproduce the problem. Can you provide me with a step-by-step recipe to reproduce the problem, e.g. you start a new project, input a note, switch to the Properties panel, and then…?

Hello. Thanks for reply. Ok………an example when this happened was, in simplest form, when i wrote 5 crotchets, highlighted one of them, went into Properties panel, selected Accidental, click on Hide. It then froze. It’s doing this every time for me for some reason. Only with pencil though. Hope that’s sort of clear!

1 Like

An update - it seems to only freeze when trying to select something in any of the dropdown boxes in properties. I can select the various options and unselect them until I try the dropdown menu. The menu doesn’t even open with pencil.

1 Like

What version of iPadOS are you using, on what model of iPad?

iPad Pro 12.9 (5th Generation) iPadOS 16.3.1

OK, thanks. I’m on the same version of iPadOS, though I’ve got an iPad Air 4th gen. However, I would expect to be able to reproduce the problem, and so far I’ve been unable to. I will try removing my current development build and going back to the App Store version to see if I can reproduce the problem there.

1 Like

Thank you. Sorry to cause you trouble!

Yeah I’ve had this happen too, it’s around when you get into the extra controls of the toolkit, like hitting the Trash icon button on setup in the Flow region (going from memory here). Also with popup type dialogs. Working in one widget - e.g. the score seems to be fine, but when you go into the control widgets it can happen. I’ve noticed the toolkit has an intermittent z-order issue, this seemed be related to that possibly.

1 Like

I think not using the pencil solves the problem. The pencil prevents the menu or screen to appear.

Ive also experienced this. Ipad pro 5th (12.9”) IOS 16.2. I thought it may be the score is too long, I’ve closed all programs other than Dorico - seems to help, but still happens mostly when pulling down any menus in Properties, i.e Show/Hide Accidentals.

1 Like

I just tested and on the first try yup, happened to me too. Pencil on a properties menu drop down, I haven’t messed with properties before on the iPad, in the post up above I’ve had it happen elsewhere.

In this case I banged around with my finger and it shortly restarted itself and reloaded the project, so it seems to know something is amiss.

I had the same experience when selecting items from both the left and right panels, i.e. , chord input, and time signature.

Same problems here. D5 freezes within seconds (primary) of using the Apple Pencil with my iPad Pro. At the moment, D5 is pretty useless for me - especially since I’m one of those users who pay twice for Dorico (PC & iPadOS). Unfortunately I renewed my subscription in September and it really annoys me.

I’m really sorry to hear that, Ralf. We’ve still been unable to reproduce this problem in-house. Which specific elements in the interface are you finding cause Dorico to freeze when you tap them with the Pencil?

Hi!
I have had the same issue through many months and many Ipad OS versions to the point I stopped using Dorico on my iPad. Dorico freezes almost every time I use pencil on dropdown menu. If I use finger it works fine but using finger is not very precise.
Even if I use finger but pencil is not docked on the magnetic side of iPad I still get freezing. Last two times it was when i was adding new player to project (under setup page) and after that it froze when I selected Galley view (under write page). I have done all OS and Dorico available updates and it doesn’t help. I’m using iPad pro 12.9 5th gen

iPad Air 3
Apple Pencil 1st generation
iOS 17.1.1

My Apple Pencil is working fine in Dorico for iPad and it is not crashing at all. Are you using an Apple Pencil or 3rd party pencil?

Could it be that during iOS updates your Pencil has not received the Updates it needs?

The solution, go into Settings, Bluetooth, Apple Pencil and have it Forget the Device.
Then re-Pair your Pencil’s Bluetooth connection.
That suggestion came directly from Apple.

I tested my Apple Pencil in Dorico for iPad with the following settings:
In Settings, Apple Pencil, Only Draw with Apple Pencil is turned Off.
In Settings, Apple Pencil, Scribble is turned Off.

Might these settings be contributing to your crashes?

Also connected to my iPad Air 3 is the Apple Smart Keyboard made for my iPad, plus an Apple Camera Connector Kit with a 7-port Sabrent 12V powered hub for all my USB connections.

Although just an iPad Air 3, this rig is working fine with Dorico and Cubasis.

Side Note: I had to switch from a 4-port Sabrent 5V powered hub to their 7-port 12V powered hub made for computers so that my USB powered audio interface could properly power AKG Condenser microphones. One of my mics requires 46-52V phantom power and testing the pins on the XLR cable to the microphone showed it was only getting 26V with a 5V hub powering the audio interface. The powered hub with the 12V AC adaptor now supplies all 7-ports with plenty of power for all my devices.

Yes. I’m still experiencing the freezing on iPad when I use the pencil on dropdown menus in the properties menus. All pencil settings are as mentioned in previous email in thread.

Just bought a paid subscription yesterday so still in trial period (possibly switching from competing product). Have already hit this crash using Apple Pencil approx. many times in a few hours of using. Does seem to be when trying to change a value in the Properties menu. E.g. most recently when trying to select a value for the number of beats in time signatures pick-up bar. On my limited experience so far, I would go as far as saying it ALWAYS happens when using Pencil but not with finger. Problem for me is that iPad is my primary notation device and Pencil is my primary input method. Just locks up and there’s no unfreezing. IPad Pro 11” M1 iPadOS 17.1.1.

Wonder if it’s an M1 issue.

iPad Air 3 with Apple Pencil 1, and I can’t reproduce a freeze or crash in Dorico.