iPad - Pitch/Rhythm Transformations!

For those of you wanting some inversion/retrograde pitch/rhythm transformations, I’m pretty sure you’re gonna get it with Dorico 4, as it’s already here in the iPad version! I’m not entirely sure how to access these commands, but the few I tested by assigning a keycommand seemed to work.

Here’s the dialog for Reverse and Invert Pitches and Reverse Rhythms for example.

Cool! Is this documented somewhere? I didn’t see it in the announcement.

13 Likes

Great catch, @FredGUnn !

1 Like

Wow! I’ve been playing with the app for a bit and hadn’t caught this one! Guess I should have read through all the keyboard shortcuts!

2 Likes

It’s not really intended that these slipped through the net. In Dorico 4 you’ll be able to access them not only from the menus but also via the Shift+I popover, which we disabled for the iPad release, but I neglected to remove the dedicated commands altogether.

We’ll discuss this internally, but don’t be surprised if these disappear from the next iPad update, only to reappear after Dorico 4 is released.

The tools that we have been working on are super-cool, though, and you might find it hard to believe that it took something like nine months to develop this set of transformation tools for pitches and rhythms in such a way that they always do what you expect, work across multiple voices, handle all kinds of notations besides notes, and so on. The result of all that hard work is something that goes far beyond even the wonderful plug-ins developed by Bob Zawalich for Sibelius over the years, and it’s built right in to the software.

But all of that is supposed to wait for Dorico 4…

19 Likes

“Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.”

Arthur C. Clarke

5 Likes

Please don’t disappear the Shift I popover as side effect! I use it every day! It’s probably my second-most-used popover after the Shift M.

No, don’t worry: Shift+I is safe, and will be added to the popovers toolbox in the right zone in due course.

4 Likes

This is excellent news, Daniel ! Can’t wait to get my hands on Dorico 4 ^^

1 Like

When I first read this thread I was wondering when I’d use that feature, and of course today I have exactly a need for it! :slight_smile: Dorico 4 indeed, looking forward to ‘later this year’

I must say, that’s a remarkably comprehensive set of 12 transformation types (Cubase has only a simple mirror and reverse to my knowledge) – it doesn’t surprise me that it took around nine months to put it all together. Congratulations to all concerned!

This is wonderful news and it was obvious that you had this in mind, Daniel. If complex automation functions become more comfortable, with a window that can show several stages of instruments by type of automation, we will have, over the years, the expected wonder.