iPad Pro recommendation

Hi together!

I want to buy an iPad Pro and run Dorico on it. Will there be a big difference between 4th and 5th generation in performance? Will it be worth spending about 200,-€ more? How are your experiences?

Ben

My impression is that you’d find the performance of the iPad Pro 4th generation absolutely fine with Dorico for iPad. The A12Z system-on-a-chip inside that iPad should be plenty fast enough.

Thank you very much! I’ll give it a try.

Fwiw, for future proofing it’s probably a better idea to go with the m1 version. I believe they also have more ram. Other users have reported that there’s much less “dumping” going on in the background, so more things stay in the memory because there is more of it, and thus it is a smoother experience overall.

It depends, I think, whether or not you expect to be running lots of apps at the same time, and whether you see your iPad as primarily a device for using Dorico and one or two other apps, or whether you expect it to be a replacement for your primary desktop computer. If the latter, then buying the M1 iPad Pro may well be a good investment, but given that it’s considerably more expensive (indeed, comparable to buying a MacBook Pro), be sure you are going to really need that headroom before you part with your money.

True. Hadn’t thought of that.