iPAD Recording App

The new iPAD 3 had

Processor
1 Dual-core Apple A5X custom-designed, high-performance, low-power system-on-a-chip with quad-core graphics

RAM
1 Gig

Audio Performance
Frequency response: 20Hz to 20,000Hz
Audio formats supported: HE-AAC (V1 and V2), AAC (8 to 320 Kbps), Protected AAC (from iTunes Store), MP3 (8 to 320 Kbps), MP3 VBR, Audible (formats 2, 3, and 4, Audible Enhanced Audio, AAX, and AAX+), Apple Lossless, AIFF, and WAV
User-configurable maximum volume limit
Dolby Digital 5.1 surround sound pass-through with Apple Digital AV Adapter (sold separately)

With all of this horse power it seems like Steinberg should make really cool and useful recording app.

It would be awesome if it integrated somehow to Cubase.

I would buy it, how about you?

And your Cubase 6 question is…?
https://www.steinberg.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=91&t=19634&p=123805#p123805

No question, but a request to alert Steinberg that there is a market for this product, and something I really want.

Is thinking cap the thinking cap for all of us. I missed somewhere that thinking cap must approve all posts and apply them to specific forums.

They already do. It’s called Cubase and it’s available for PCs and Macs. Let’s first see one serious audio interface for this gadget (I understand it doesn’t even have USB).

It would be awesome if it integrated somehow to Cubase.

There are several apps on the market already for this gadget to make it function as a control surface for Cubase.

I would buy it, how about you?

I would not. But then, I don’t buy anything from Apple Inc.

Let’s first see one serious audio interface for this gadget (I understand it doesn’t even have USB).

It requires an adapter but with that caveat it does have USB…& there are some very respectable USB interfaces around such as RME UC

Check out WavemachineLabs Auria for an idea of what can be done on an iPad DAW now (well soon as it’s not released yet)

WavemachineLabs Auria is interesting, but while some may like the compactness of it, I find that the lack of screenspace may mean too much swapping around.

It may be useful for recording audio but since it cannot handle VSTis, it is severely limited for MIDI. And it cannot handle your favourite third-party plugins.

I’d say it would be great for recording live gigs, jam sessions or ideas, but we found that getting a full Cubase for my wife to get ideas down was simpler than having a different level than what we did the final recording upon.

The app allows freezing, but we did that a lot to get our CD out, and I would rather get the right equipment to avoid doing that again.

Plus we do all our stuff at 96kHz, especially recording audio, and while that app says they can go higher than 44.1, I wonder how much an A5x CPU can really do, and at what sort of latencies.

However, we shall see what it can really do once it stops being vapourware.

I know that the iPad seems to be the new hammer, but DAWs are not just another nail.

However, I would imagine a Win7 device like the Samsung Slate (dual core i5 x64, 4GB RAM, 64GB SSD) or an x86/x64 Win8 device running the full Cubase might be another matter.