Is 2K (2560x1440) the new industry standard?

dont you get tired from all this real estate?
at one point i went back to 2K because its just too much info, i didnt know where to look anymore (im also talking big 52" here)
then its refreshing to see everything at a glance

i must say i produce top 40 stuff and electronic dance music, no movie scores with a 1000 tracks :slight_smile:

I use 27 with 2k and really enjoyed. Also thinking about the second monitor. Just for the video and think about full hd 21.5… What do you think? Will it work OK together?

I just picked up a 4K 32" “Color Pro” display at work a couple days ago (I work for ViewSonic) and I think I hate it already hahaha. I REALLY wanted something with an IPS panel that went over 120Hz, HDMI 2.1, etc… but those specs (even with my employee discount) still put all those class of displays around $600 and up. Ended up getting a ‘pro photo’ display 32"/IPS/4K/USB-C for cheap.

The size is awesome, and the color is gorgeous, but being on a ‘studio desk’ with a riser, I’ve got the VESA stand almost all the way down. And it seems, at least for my eyes, 32" is still too small of a screen for 4K resolution. Its not as eye gouging tiny as it is on my 28" 4K display, but its still a little too straining to read some of the text so I had to scale it back to 3008x19 whatever. Seems to be around the same proportions as my 28" at 2560x1440.

I think I would’ve been better off with 2 27" 2K displays, but didnt have room to fit two of them on my desk. Hey at least I got 100% AdobeRGB coverage though if I ever decide to go into the graphic design business!

That is exactly why I choose 40” for my 4K screen. Personally, I find about 100 pixels per inch the adequate resolution for scoring and DAW work. But I can understand that you need better resolution for photography work.

1 Like

Yes but …
You mention ‘Screen’ - singular
When you want 2 side by side screens, 40 inch is too wide. I put my monitors on the desk just next to my two 32 inch screens and it is ‘the limit’ for the optimal triangle.

Groetjes!

1 Like

Dual monitors on my desk - vertically arranged, so the mouse moves smoothly between screens:

• 2K 2560 x 1440, 27”
  • 4K 3840 x 2160, 40”

I would absolutely hate to give up the big 4k screen when using Cubase. I love seeing lots of info on the same screen, since it seems that my spatial muscle memory kicks in pretty fast, so many plugin windows open are a feature for me, rather than a bug.

But I also realize that this is a very personal thing - not unlike different individuals lining up differently on the “clean desk vs messy desk” preference spectrum.

I wonder, if there’s even a correlation between how clean vs. messy you prefer your desk / work-space / studio and how much simultaneous information you are comfortable having on your computer screen(s).

1 Like

I used a 49" 4k from 2017, but missed my previous dual 1080s really & their physical divide, I used it for a few years but I get neck ache & end up just using the center of the monitor. Last year I went back to using a 28" at 2k & I now use my iPad Pro 12.9 as a second monitor if I ever feel the need via side load. I did have a 2nd 27” monitor for a bit but found I wasn’t using it very often & it just used space.

After getting an apple trackpad, it makes using a single screen much more enjoyable with 4 finger drag down. In Cubase combined with switching off always on top (when it works) this is a great way to work for me. 4 finger swipe down shows all of the open Cubase windows, click the one you want. If I was using Studio One though with the fixed VST window, I would feel the need for a 2nd display.

Thanks for this, I thought it was just me, but I find these immense screens actually more difficult to use, despite how impressive they first seem. To me, at some point it feels like being at a tennis match too close to the court!

1 Like

Like with everything technical- there is no real industry standard any more (things change rapidly, so standardization does no longer happen). We are having to live with the consequences in all areas.
For screen resolutions and sizes, etc. - all “Image parameters” at some point all applications will be able to handle all parameters fully flexible and we can customize to our own taste.
Up to that point we will have to suffer to a degree.
Why do I think so? Well - look at what happend to excellent webpages when companies tried to make the fit to cellphone-screens… even now we have not achieved a really convincing solution to handle all situations with one solution.

what is the distance from your eyes to your 32"?

mine is 70cm

i use it on 2K resolution