Is a web camera connection essential?

New to VST Connect.
Preparing to do Voice overs remotely in preparation for “possible” Covid 19 self isolation.
We have N10. Think we have set up VST connect (not pro) and VST performer correctly. Talent is external to building, so not on LAN.
We can see each other log in, but when connecting it always fails.
We have opened ports 51111 to 51113 as described in the manual.
The only thing with have not done is add a webcam…Is this essential??

In an ideal world we would like the talent to see Nuendo’s timeline and we see the talent. We were hoping to use Cam Twist to broadcast our time line.
http://camtwiststudio.com/

But because we cannot connect audibly we have not got that far. Is a camera essential???

Worst case scenario we point our webcam at the PC monitor.

A webcam is not essential or even needed at all for the core functionality of VST Connect.
Using other tools like zoom, skype, cam twist or the like in parallel to VST Connect is not recommended and may cause it to not function properly. You can try, and in many cases it may work, but we can’t guarantee anything as long as other web-intensive software runs in parallel.
You don’t have to open any ports, but you may want to check and disable any additional virus/internet protection software. Personally, I recommend to not install any such software at all, as long as you’re not frequently accessing darknet or the likes - and even then :slight_smile: Also note that some company networks block UDP traffic or “unknown sources”, which is required for VST Connect to work. But this does not apply to normal household routers, unless you have specifically configured it to block traffic relevant to VST Connect.
Finally, as for the screen sharing feature, we haven’t got this thru testing yet, so we’re currently working on getting the new version out, and then we’ll see.

Thanks for reply.

Response from our network manager…

Hi Steve,

Yes we block everything by default.

If Steinberg can provide a list of the UDP ports that are required we can allow that through the firewall.

Can anyone supply these port numbers. As I said we have allowed ports 51111 to 51113 as per manual.

Update. Tonight we tried again. But using the ipad version of “performer”
And a connection was made.
Using the same router as the ipad was connected too (via Wifi). A desktop mac connected via a cable was not able to complete a connection.
Where do we start trouble shooting?? We are voice over and Audio engineers, not network people. So keep it simple.
Will be good to get this working. As New Zealand, whilst only a 20 cases of Covid 19. Is being locked down more and more everyday.

You cannot connect within a local network except with the PRO version.
To start trouble shooting we’d need more details. What works, and what doesn’t? What exactly happens or doesn’t? If your network has restrictions beyond the “home” router, have the ports mentioned opened for UDP (not TCP).
VST Connect knows two different methods of connecting: a) enter your mySteinberg credentials and connect via the friends list, and b) Studio presses “ID” button and gets a 2-part number which the Performer enters after also activating the ID button.
Even more information can be found at https://connectvst.com

We are not on the same LAN. Completely different parts of the city.
Studio pass does make a connection. But we have read a change in ios makes it impossible to connect a professional microphone.

Desktop performer. We can see each other login. But cannot make a connection.

We are still to try other laptops. And maybe a PC rather than mac.

Will let you know.

Almost there.

We can hear and see each other.

But when I hit record the input to the record performer track is muted and records silence.

I can download HD files. But this takes far to long. (15minutes plus for a 5 sec file). And defeats the purpose of this excersize.
The idea is we can hear and record the VO in real time.
we may as well be sent cold voice overs and edit them in to the gaps of the programme.
I have followed all the suggestions on connectvst.com to no avail.
Hopefully I am missing something blindingly obvious.
Please help getting desperate now.

VST Connect is a plugin and does not mute a track. There must be something else like automation.

I can download HD files. But this takes far to long. (15minutes plus for a 5 sec file). And defeats the purpose of this excersize.
The idea is we can hear and record the VO in real time.

That is the idea indeed.
Data transfer speed has been increased, but it may still be slow as compared to other methods, as VST Connect has to assure a quality online connection. However 15 minutes for a 5 sec file sounds very wrong.
You may transfer VST Performer recordings by other means and use the “Get Local HD Files” function (don’t log in).

I have followed all the suggestions on connectvst.com to no avail.
Hopefully I am missing something blindingly obvious.
Please help getting desperate now.

I don’t know what your problem is. You should test the recommended approach: Empty project, Create VST Connect and check if that works. As you can hear and see each other, you should be able to record as well. But notice the sync LEDs, they must not be red other than occasionally. In that case, try buffer (latency) settings of your and Performers’ interfaces, and most of all make sure that the Remote Latency setting fits the case (try 2 seconds).

We are also planning to roll out a new version this month, so stay tuned.

Thank you so much
Now working
We reduced Buffer to 4096 on “performer” setting.
And remote delay to 2 seconds on “Config” setting

great that it worked for you!
A buffersize that large on the Performer end will cause an unpleasant delay for the performer - unless he or she uses direct monitoring. I guess in your case, increasing Remote Latency should already do the job.