Is anyone finding the new Control Room useful?

I don’t know if I have a severe learning disability or not but I’m finding the controlroom a completely convoluted pain-in-the-butt to use. I’ve been inching my way into C7 for tracking and I must say that I love that I can add groups and fx to selected channels(would love it more if I were able to have the option to add them below the selected audio track) but the control room is so over-complicated to use compared to the C6.5 and earlier… Seriously, is it just me?

I actually find it easier to use in C7 than in C6.5, since it is now integrated rather than being a separate mixer.

+1

No,control room is one of the best features of c7 ,I rehearse at home with my band and record into c7,we all have our own mixes in the headphones it’s so easy… :smiley:

Being able to have the control room in any mixwindow is great as I was experimenting under the old mixer’s ‘lets pretend that it is a hardware clone’ regime for all sorts of ways to get some of its functionality onto a touchscreen to be used in the studio.

I like that it is compact, but I would like there to be a button to expand/collapse the extended functionality as I had to delve into the manual to find out how to insert ARC2 onto a monitor channel, whereas there should be a button there to make it obvious. Clicking the seemingly passive topbar of a section is NOT intuitive as it is not part of any standard GUI paradigm.

Perhaps you could write a blog and share a link?

Hi

I think it’s a matter of how big is the recordingstudio you apply this features.
Agreed, that a projectstudio doesn’t need this “big size” control room, as I don’t need it.
As well as the various meteroptions - is almost useless for me - using the ears. :unamused:

But

suppose, that big studios will really love this kind of features. :wink:

Cheers

YES it is.
Again, reduced visual feedback.
Again, much more clicking needed.
Again, worse ergonomics.

And yes … a steep learning curve, even for those, using the CR for years.

Just one more reason, to stay with 6.5 …
:sunglasses:

Jan

Why not?

We don’t have a hardware mixer that would provide some of the functionality. Plus I can insert an ARC2 room equaliser plugin into the monitor speaker channel, without having it in the headphone channel.

I have been using the control room for years and didn’t ever feel like it wasn’t relevant to our project studio. The new layout works for us because, along with the new mixwindows, allows us to have the control room on the touchscreens in the studio AND at the mixing desk.

Well, I guess I’m one of the very few that actually finds the Control Room to be more intuitive in C7.

Also, I definitely do NOT agree with the comment that the CR is only meant for big studios. I’m a small studio myself and I use this feature daily, along with the new metering. Anyone NOT using the features found in the CR, no matter how big or small your studio is, will be missing out on some great tools that make the job easier and help us deliver consistent recordings.

The Listen function alone is enough reason to use the CR. In case someone doesn’t know what it does, it enables you to listen to a particular track/buss, or group of tracks/busses, while the others are dimmed down to a user specific amount. This is useful whenever you want to apply compression, EQ, etc in the context of a mix, but in a microscopic level (sort of speak) rather than doing that while the track is soled. Then you have the new metering systems, which allow us to switch scales based on what we want to achieve. For example, I use the digital scale to bring down tracks that have been recorded too hot and get them to sit somewhere around -18dBFS RMS. Doing so helps against driving plugins too hot, which will cause them to react differently than they were designed (especially true with emulation plugins that have been calibrated to 0dB VU as a standard).

That’s not even mentioning the headphone mixes, different speaker setups to check mixes on a separate set of monitors, mono/stereo switch (mono compatibility is invaluable today, especially for mobile devices where your music will probably end up be heard from), etc.

The CR is one of Cubase’s secret weapons.

I love the new control room for one main reason… I can put Arc 2 on a speaker instead of the main channel. I also like its smaller foot print. However, it does take some getting used to. Not nearly as intuitive as the old one. Never the less, I’d make the trade in a heart beat for the features I like.

Which means you can always be in playback mode, for example when cycling over a specific part and making overdubs, if someone is in the control room.

Then you have the new metering systems, which allow us to switch scales based on what we want to achieve. For example, I use the digital scale to bring down tracks that have been recorded too hot and get them to sit somewhere around -18dBFS RMS. Doing so helps against driving plugins too hot, which will cause them to react differently than they were designed (especially true with emulation plugins that have been calibrated to 0dB VU as a standard).

I don’t have much of a use for the new metering since I am using a TC Electronic BMC-2 but if I was mixing for optical formats it would be invaluable.

It just seems like too much looking and clicking to do the same things that the old one did(which was pretty intuitive and obvious).

Yep!

Myself and a couple of other people i know compose and track with 6.5 and mix with 7…for various reasons other than the new CR but personally i do prefer the old one…

I usually like whatever the new features are on new releases. I think a lot of careful thought and analysis go into these things. There’ll always be the whiners though. Personally, I’m not sure I could operate Cubase without the control room…I love it! I loved v.5 CR too…“new and different” just takes a little time to get wrapped around that’s all.

what i really love about Cubase is there is not just one set in stone way to do things. my real job im a lighting designer & Programer and both the HOG 2/3 & Grand MA I&II there are a multitude of ways to get tings done, theres no one right was… Control Room is the same way, i been using Cubase for years and for the longest time didn’t think i needed/ wanted CR but in 7. its right there i have a QC and AI so ive programed one of the AI buttons to open in close CR when needed and now that ive turned my walk in closet int a vocal booth. its awesome to send what ever i need into the vocal booth. also i live in an apartment so its nice too to just turn off the main out and use Phones and not have to adjust my audio interface to turn it down a bit.

Bottom line I love / and i really love CR

yea there are still are some wonky things in Cubase but that will come round eventually but for the most part its a kick butt way to turn my ideas musically into reality

It’s cool for simple tasks in its current layout. It’s a horrible clicking orgy with a limited overview when you want to be fast. Too much animation stuff, changing from mixer to setup it collapses etc.

I’d be happy if we’d get a dedicated control room mixer back with more or less the old layout (seeing all important settings at a glance), additionally to the current one.

+1

And from an accessibility point of view (arthritis & visual problems) i personally find the new CR MUCH fiddlier :frowning:

+1

Best Regards
Freddie

Yes!

I have external hardware controller + large hardware digital mixers with meters sections + control surface like CMC-controllers.
I still like and use the Control room inside Cubase 7. Its very convenient and smart feature especially in use with CMC.
The included all K-“meters” and so on cost more then whole Cubase itself if you buy a external softwares.
You are really stupid if you don’t use it when Steinberg has been so kind to add it for free. Very helpful for anyone that are serious of its work! :wink:

Best Regards
Freddie