Is Cubase buggy with removing Pool files?

Hi

I’m seeing Cubase 12 on Mac struggling to keep unused files off the disk and my audio folders keep piling up with orphan files. I wanted to check if this is known to be buggy and to be expected or if I’m doing something wrong.

I delete from the pool window frequently and I always send to trash, not remove from pool (which AFAIK would create problems) and it seems to work as far as the pool itself goes. The correct files ARE indeed in the pool. The issue is really that Cubase leaves files in the folder on disk that are NOT in the pool.

Is this known buggy behavior or is it something with the way I work that creates the problems. I thought I’d ask before I start trying to figure out if it’s my workflow.

Thanks in advance for any help

Hi,

Could you please write step by step obstruction how to reproduce this?

One thing I’ve noticed is that when I select a track (and it gets record armed) Cubase creates a zero length file in the audio folder. If I then do something else, like recording on a different track, the file remains.

@Martin.Jirsak Sorry, but there is no clear consistency in the behavior here so a step by step repro is hard to supply. That’s why I asked if this is generally considered to be buggy.

Hi,

This works as expected. When you Record Enable a track, Cubase starts to record from the given input to the track in the background. By default, it’s continuously recording 1 second long file. You can change this in the Preferences > Record > Audio > Audio Pre-Record Time. This is useful, if you would miss to hit Record button and press it a bit later, you get 1 second of the audio before you hit Record.

Thanks @Martin.Jirsak, I’ll try changing this and see if it solves the problem.