Is Cubase Popularity Dropping?

A nice anecdote that happened to me last week which reminded me at this threat.

When I was at my Studio, my 6 year old son hijacked my iPad. He went to the next room and came back a little later to show me he recorded his voice in Garage Band and can make it sound all kind of different ways. His next step was recording a second sound…

I never showed or learned him Garage band. I bet when he’s 12 he wants me to buy Logic, because he simply is familiar with that concept and know how it works.

Steinberg doesn’t make tablets sadly… :unamused:

But they do make apps for tablets luckily… :wink:

yeah, Cubasis looks like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvIWYOFDqCg

What about Android and latency issues? Didn’t they fix that?

No one has said that.

If you buy the newer Samsungs and Nexus, they have enough muscle to avoid the latency issue which was a problem with Android since the start. My Galaxy Tab4 is not too snappy with some apps, but okay with some soft synths, I have not tried a “real” DAW on it, but Caustic runs fine, with my USB controller plugged in too.

I am still a little cheesed that Steiny dropped the Android version of icPro… But I just got an iPhone 6 Plus at my new dayjob, so that fixes my problem there. :sunglasses:

Not really sure what the latency issues are.

not sure why icPro is not being supported on Android. however there are alternatives and one of the very good ones is TouchDAW.

hope it helps. cheers!!!

Wow. We’re way OT.
I’ll bring it back:

No.
I do not think Cubase popularity is dropping.
In fact, I think as a Brand Category Cubendo is growing.

Saw an article in Pro Sound News the other day (http://www.prosoundnetwork.com/article/daw-migration-pros-consider-pt-alternatives/19849) suggesting that many Pros are finding that - due to the enormous power of today’s computers - they do not have to be tethered to Avid Hardware anymore and can play the field a bit.
And they are. And they’re finding things they like.

I believe - particularly with Yamaha’s massive hardware capabilities behind them, Steinberg is WELL poised to capture a lot more of this market.
I do not see that Cubendo lags behind Pro Tools at all in the mixing department. Exceeds in some cases.
And - particularly Cubase - serves the composing community much more effectively.
And for Post Nuendo is way mre effective and focused than PT.

So . . uh . . .no.
Steinberg, if they play their cards right, good things ahead (and right now!).

Hugh

Thanks for curving the topic back on track.

So i guess what we might conclude, without knowing the actual numbers, is an increase
in popularity of Cubendo as a whole, with localized decreases. Localized in the dance, beginners scene?

Maybe is Stenbergs entry level packages were more appealing to dance producers and had a less steep learning curve things would be operating at 110% efficiency?

Besides the brief detour about tablets, this is a very good thread! Thanks guys!

I think that would be accurate.

Question is, with their development team and resources, do they want to go there?

Safe bet.

Hugh

As far as I know, 100% is as efficient as we can get. Maybe it differs in the Dance field…

I think you missed my point regarding Garage band. It’s relevant for the new generation DAW users since it’s likely the first music software experience young people gain these days is from a mobile/tablet app.
When they learn the basics of a DAW at brand X’s free product, there’s a reasonable chance, the “real” DAW of brand X will be their first choice when moving up a level.
I don’t see a young person fork up €49,- for Cubasis to try and see if he likes creating music :wink:

I think Garage Band is a nice DAW. It’s free on all Macs and now has lots of Logic Pro X sound / features and looks a lot like it. It would make sense to go to Logic after you’ve mastered it. However Logic is still an inferior DAW than Cubase that’s why I don’t use it. And they don’t design it like a real recoding studio. For example if you want to sidechain they’ve programmed it differently basicly a bunch of nerds who think they can dictate how to…

They’ve also copied / borrowed groove agents features in their new drum machine. Which is very cool and easy to use and now in Garage Band. Overall GB is very fun and easy to use. I’ve exported and used some of the sounds and loops into Cubase for remixes.

One thing that still holds Nuendo back is that “everyone”, well most, are using Protools and converting or rendering down in stems or whatever to move files between the two DAW’s is a vaste of time and money. If there was a program that could convert projects between those reliably, then we would probably see a big move.

Yes. And believe me Avid knows that.

Long ago (Mid 90s) ProTools was the only system that could reliably perform in a pro studio because it ran on proprietary DSP Hardware and computers of the day were to slow (and unstable) to do the job.
Not so anymore.
Their dominance in the Pro Market at this point is ONLY the compatibility issue.
And I’m sure they will quietly do what they can to protect that.

Hugh

At one point Cubase and Nuendo were almost the same, now separate flavor is slowly developing. Cubase seems to be going more into beatmaking market, and Nuendo is more large pro mixing and postproduction. No need for a third app, imo.
Maybe just those who are exclusively into mixing, need to forget about Cubase and switch over to Nuendo. And those who produce music by creating sounds are better off with Cubase.

I only know Neundo from promos, but I think you nailed it. It seems Neundo is aimed at film and video post and Cubase is more a composer’s tool, but not a “toy.” It’s a serious music and sound creation program and an audio engineering platform in one package. Best case, I’d think, is where the two work together with projects started in cubase and handed off for completion in a professional Nuendo mixing stuido.

I thought Cubase provided a file export format that could be imported into Pro Tool? OMF file format is it? Also, with batch export, couldn’t a project consisting of audio file stems be imported to Pro Tools? Just take care of the usual housekeeping with sample rate and so on, maybe a SMPTE audio track for reference. I like Pro Tools and many of the best engineers seem to favor it. I don’t operate Pro Tools as yet, but from watching so many videos where it is in use, I think I could get a basic session song on it quickly. It seems very straight forward. Cubase is a bit more convoluted I think due to it doing so much with sound creation, pro tools is really all about live recording, mixing and mastering. Just a few thoughts based on your post.

Take care.

I use Cubase for producing backing tracks for my band, recording the band live while playing the tracks at gigs, and making demo’s in the home studio for the band. So I have a heavy use on midi/cut/paste/arranging drop/drag sections of songs, fly background vocals multiple times to multiple places as well as producing some pretty decent studio type demos.

I started with protools 6 LE or some such version probably 8 years ago. Finicky and crashed countless times. I have recently tried Abelton, Logic, protools (again), and Digital Performer. All of them probably could do what I want and I’ve even seen some guys do what I want with those programs.

The best DAW ended up being the one I already know how to run (Cubase). Just figuring out the routing on some of those programs took entire evenings.

Cubase may not seem as main stream as some of the others mentioned but there’s a bunch using it. For my part, I recommend it when asked and although not an expert by any means, I’m at least into the advanced range.

The biggest plus for me is the stability of the program. I can have my PC checking email, internet in the back ground, save files while they’re playing, cut/paste while playing and a bunch of other things that others just choke on. Pro tools way back when - if you moved the mouse at the wrong time, you’d get the BSOD.

Perhaps the point is, word of mouth goes a long way to me when inquiring about any product. I mention it when asked.

+1
That’s the way it works i think. So it wouldn’t be such a stupid idea if a smaller version of the DAW would come with the standard windows package for free just like apple has done with garage band. But don’t call it cubase but f.e. something like “cubic”, since you do not want your name to be associated with freeware.
Such a thing would be a gamechanger in a very crowded market i guess.

I agree with the idea that it would be a great idea to have an easy to learn, free! version of Cubase on Tablets and pc’s.