Is DAW or Dorico easier for orchestration?

“Training” isn’t everything. Listen to a couple of hours of John Williams scores in a concert setting (https://www.bbc.co.uk/events/enfmbp/play/ap33v2/b08y02bl) and you might come to the same conclusion as I did - he’s only ever written one piece of music, but he’s very good at making variations on it.

Classically trained - yes of course (Juilliard etc). But comparing Williams’ music with the “great” 19th century romantic composers, as some of his more gushing admirers do - “you cannot be serious” IMO.

(Actually, if I had the money to risk losing, I would sue him for copyright violation over the “Jaws” theme - I wrote the soundtrack for a movie shot on 16mm film back in the 1960s which won an award at a Cannes Amateur Film Festival and uses the exact same musical idea, so there wouldn’t be much dispute about my evidence at least - it’s right there on my soundtrack!) That’s stealing from a teenager still in the UK equivalent of high school!!!

When trying to create believable orchestral mockups, having proper control over dynamics and vibrato (etc) is crucial. When such control exists in Dorico, I’m sure it will be very useful for orchestration. But this means that both real time recording of automation parameters and the ability to draw curves directly on the track needs to be implemented first. Proper tempo control is also essential.