Is it possible to change the startup program(s)

In Halions 2 & 3, it was possible to create a custom default startup program or bank.
by saving it as haliondef.fxb

Is there a way to do this in Halion 4?

(It would be nice to be able to do this in HalionSonic as well)

Bump

I wanted to have the Yamaha S90ES piano load as my startup. I managed it like this. (Usual disclaimers apply!)

I’m on a Vista PC so if you are on a Mac or different OS I guess it will be a matter of finding the appropriate paths to the files I mention.

I deleted the startup slot program within Halion4 (which was ‘The Fourth Dimension’) and loaded into the first slot the Yamaha piano. Then I saved the multi program and was given the option to overwrite the preset ‘Startup’ which I did.

I found that this multi preset got saved to this location:
C:\Users\My username\Documents\VST3 Presets\Steinberg Media Technologies\Halion4\Multi\Startup.vstpreset

I copied the preset file to the desktop and renamed it ‘startup’ with no extension. I then browsed to:
C:\Users\My username\AppData\Roaming\Steinberg\Halion4\Sub Presets

In that folder is a file called ‘startup’ which I replaced with the one I had copied to the desktop and renamed.

Now Halion 4 loads up with the piano I wanted for Startup.

Might be sensible to keep a copy of the original ‘startup’ file you replaced to restore in case of problems!

Perhaps somebody from Steinberg can jump in with more info if there is an easier way to do this… I’m sure lots of users would like to have their own startup setup.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for that - I’ll try that tonight on the Mac - I’m amazed there isn’t an easier way (as on H3)

I’m sure a lot of people would also like to change the startup of Sonic.

I would love to start with a completely blank template. I am so sick of having to remove The 4th Dimension each and every time I start up Halion 4.

Workaround 2:
Try these steps:

1. Start a new project within a host, i.e Cubase6
  2. Load up Halion4
    3.Remove the 4th Dimenson program
  3. Go to File and save the project as a template
  4. Exit project
  5. Load up the saved template

You should now find that there is no program in the 1st slot of Halion 4.

Regards
Daniel

Cool, thanks. This is good for starting fresh projects with Halion 4, but if I want to start Halion 4 within an existing project, it does me no good. This is such a stupid little fix that is needed. I hope it comes to light in a future update as well as the feature requests I have been asking for.

I really do hope they get on board with your feature requests, Cantankerous :slight_smile: Plus I wonder how long we’ll have to wait for the next update…