Is it possible to edit/alphabetize the mp3 genre field?

While I hate this whole ‘genre’ field thing in MP3’s (I don’t want to categorize my music with any ‘genre’ and the whole ‘genre’ thing lost it’s credibility when these electronic music guys started to create a new ‘genre’ to describe their every new song) I’d like to +1 for this.

Judging by the first 19 items in the DDL being in alphabetical order and the rest just jumbled, I’d say it wasn’t in an XML file,
since this could easily be programmed to list in alpha order.
I’d say it was hard coded in some code somewhere.
Can’t imagine what else is hard coded in Cubase…
or maybe I can. :unamused:

It would be nice

Thanks for the 2 year bump to this topic, it’s still not adressed as far as I know!

I would bet that this was a 3rd party module from a vendor that no longer exists, or who no can longer do business with SB, so if the devs were to do something substantial here they might have to code the whole mp3 export process.

Anyway, I wonder if they could just change the Genre field to a plain text field that we could use or leave blank at will.

So +1(?)

A major +1 from here.
{‘-’}

+1

Would love to be able to add all id3 tags, actually

• a billion. The random list is just plain silly.

Yes. That all sounds completely plausible Steve; not (as I naively thought) any quick ‘one hour’ of dev time to fix… Though, I think the same might go for your suggestion of ‘just’ trying to change the Genre field to a plain text field. A good idea none the less…

But of course, why not put a bit of effort in and extend its functions, like the ability to add album art (as someone else suggested) - would be great to just do this right there while you’re on it, as part of the export…

I dream on…

Oh, and a +1

You might be right about the possibility of it being just as much trouble to change the text field property…

In fact, I don’t think a change can be done in one hour in software like Cubase- there is a whole team involved, and every change has to go through a process- even if the change itself takes just a few minutes, there are other steps that have to happen before it gets released into the actual code that’s included in an update.

Hi guys,

just to chime in. That list doesn’t come from us, but it is a standard list shared by almost evey music program. Each genre occupies 1 byte (out of the 128 bytes from the ID3-Tag) which corresponds to an “ID-number” that defines in which order those genres are shown, i.e. in Cubase.

This also facilitates the compatibility with different programs, i.e. you want the same genre being shown in iTunes and in Winamp.

You can check that list here: ID3 - Wikipedia

Hope this helps!

+1 It’d be nice to have it sorted alphabetically though, after all we’re humans we don’t really care about the ID number or it’s order. And also the Winamp extensions included perhaps?

Mike.

Well, that kind of settles that! Genres don’t show up alphabetically for me in other apps either. Now I know why.

Thanks Louis.

Sorry, but there is still NO reason to display the genres not alphabetically! You only have to store the name-id relationship somewhere else but not use the ID of the list-box. This could be programmed in 5 minutes. Please do it! It is extremely annoying unsorted…

PS: I’m a software developer, I don’t speculate here… :wink:

Thank you for chiming in… :wink:

Just to clarify - no one is somehow asking Steinberg to rail against ‘Standards’, or that the numerical ID tied to a specific genre name field be disrupted/destroyed. SB aren’t being asked to break cross-application compatibility. The ID-number will always remain tied to its proper/corresponding genre name, as per the Wiki article.

What is being asked, is for people at Steinberg with courage and strong backs, to toil on behalf of us musicians and devise a scheme that sets out to present this list to the user, in alphabetical order according to the genre name field. To make it useable. That’s all.

(or a method/way/mechanism for the user to sort the list themselves - oh dear, all of a sudden that’s now sounding like so much more work…)

As someone else pointed out, this should be for the humans…!!

Maybe a simple text search function could be added to the genre field?

Thank you thank you thank you Luis; for the ‘official’ answer;
and it only took 2 and a half years. :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Better late than never tho’.

Next question:

As a solution to this somewhat ‘vexing’ prob,
is there anything Steiny can/will do to help us/its users;
or
is this ‘standard’ of which you speak now somehow ‘set in stone’?

as Puma0382 posted:

What is being asked, is for people at Steinberg with courage and strong backs, to toil on behalf of us musicians and devise a scheme that sets out to present this list to the user, in alphabetical order according to the genre name field. To make it useable. That’s all.
(or a method/way/mechanism for the user to sort the list themselves
>

Personally I would settle for the generic answer: ‘we are woikin’ on it’.

Mahalo again to you.
{‘-’}

Interesting… Thanks!

Regards. :sunglasses:

Hi there,

I’m sorry if my last post wasn’t clear enough. What I meant by “that list doesn’t come from us” is that the mp3 encoder in Cubase (including the ID3-Tag availability) wasn’t developed by us, but it is a 3rd party component (which is the main reason why Artist and Elements customers have to buy the licese separately) that we have integrated in Cubase as it is. So re-writing it just to change the order in which the genres are shown would be much more complicated and complex than one might think.

And I’m sorry Curteye, but I can’t even say “we are working on it”, because I don’t think we can actually do anything about it for now.

All the best

Got it!

As always, thanks for the info.
{‘-’}

Thanks for the info, that is too bad the list is so crazy to find anything, at least you can double press the start letter to jump to the next genre that starts with that letter. It doesn’t seem to have multiple generes that iTunes has for some reason.