Is it possible to hide the background of a hairpin markeng?

Hello.

The ability to hide the background of dynamics and text items is awesome.

I wonder if it is possible to hide the background of a crescendo marker.

See attached image to see what I want to do.

Thank you for your help.

Paul.

Please let me know if this would be considered poor notation. Ta.

There’s no built-in way to do this, Paul. Normally hairpins don’t erase backgrounds in this way, at least not in any published music I’ve seen (though that’s not to say that it is never done, of course).

Unless this is something you need to do a lot, it does work to cover up the barline(s) with a small piece of white staff text on white BG. (has to be set explicitly in the text popover at the right) …

barlinecoverup.png

Hey Daniel,

Thank you for your quick reply. I had a sneaking suspicion that I may have lost the plot and of course the Dorico team would not miss the hiding option if this was traditional transcribing musical practice.

Best wishes to the awesome team working in the background to continue to make Dorico the number one go to music typesetting software.

Paul.

Thank you for the workaround.

Best wishes to you and your family and your music making.

Paul.

Hi!

In the same vein, I noticed that the background doesn’t erase even if there’s text attached to the hairpins

You can erase the text background with the “erase background” property in Engrave Mode.

Hello Dorico crew and colleagues,
Here is one interesting video about Engraving in Sibelius.
Pay attention on tip #5 ! It’s related to masking (hiding the background).
https://youtu.be/ZvlTxFnMU1c
Would be nice if all these things are available in Dorico, too. :slight_smile:
We are living in 21st century, so we should be able to easily produce readable scores.
In the past the people didn’t have the tools to erase the background of the hairpins, but today we can do it. And it looks nicer and more clear.
I also don’t like the collisions between the score elements.
The Engraving is creative process, too. And the main goal is to bring nice looking and easy for reading score sheets.
:slight_smile:

Best regards,
Thurisaz

It seems to me that would be a very useful option, and one that might eventually dominate. Over the years I have often found myself fiddling with hairpin placement because the collision with barlines looks so bad to my eyes. I suspect this is a chicken and egg thing. It isn’t done often because the engraving programs generally don’t support that. And they don’t support it because it isn’t done very often.

I already chose this option (it’s in French in my picture) and still not working :frowning:
I supposed it is because the text is attached to a hairpin and hairpins don’t support this feature

I have no idea why it works in English but not in French.

That’s weird! I tested it again in an other project and it’s still not working. I hope the development team will notice this bug…

Hmm, it’s not working for me in English either.

Something like “poco f” will erase the background though. It’s just the hairpin text that doesn’t seem to be hiding the background. Not sure why it works for Rob though. Maybe there’s some setting in Engraving Options that I don’t have checked.

If doesn’t work in Dorico 1, because the property doesn’t exist in Engraving rules, but it works fine for me in both 2 and 3.

If I have changed something in Engraving Rules, it’s so long ago that I can’t remember what it is.

I’m using Dorico 3, and it’s not working as a prefix nor as an option in the right menu for dynamics (poco, meno, poco a poco, niente).
It is weird that it’s not consistent from a user to another…

I checked the Engraving rules, I haven’t found anything related to our issue

Hairpin masking is used in Birtwistle’s Variations for Piano, published by B&H.

Hello,
same thing for me (last Dorico 3 ,french).
JP

In Dorico 3.1, the text modifier on a hairpin will correctly have its background erased, but at the moment there is no way to force the area behind the hairpin lines themselves to be erased.

Got it. I’m guessing Rob is a beta tester as 3.1 was just released today. The text modifier works fine for me now too.

It was working fine in 2 as well as 3, though.