Is it possible to record audio from standalone VSTs (e.g Amplitube) to Cubase?

I use Cubase 11 on my Windows 10 laptop, with a Zoom L-12 digital mixer. I also use Amplitube 5 for my guitar sounds, both live and in the studio. However, I can only get Amplitube to work properly with my MIDI foot controller (for program changes) when using the standalone version of Amplitube. When I use Amplitube as a VST within Cubase, it doesn’t allow me to set the footswitches to program changes for my guitar sounds, whereas this is easy to set up in the standalone version (which still runs on the laptop btw, but outside of Cubase).

So now my question: is it possible to record to audio from a standalone VST into Cubase? If so, how? I’d need both Cubase and the standalone VST open in this case. So can the audio then be routed into Cubase and recorded?

Hi,

You would need to use any virtual cable software and probably ASIO4ALL to glue multiple audio drivers. I would recommend to investigate, why is not Amplitube 5 working correctly as plug-in.

1 Like

Amplitube is capable of receiving MIDI when used as a VSTi plugin. If you share your MIDI settings etc we might be able to sort this out for you.
Using the same ASIO audio interface in multiple applications, at least on a Windows machine, is a can of worms. You might be able to make it work with some auxiliary software as Martin above hinted, but likely not without a good amount of headaches. I would definitely investigate why Amplitube in Cubase is not receiving MIDI data and put my focus on that.

1 Like

Reaper has reaROUTE that works as an inter-application ASIO driver integrated in its installer.
With that you can stream audio from any ASIO-aware application into another.

Free to download and try :wink:

1 Like

I have a zoom L-20 and could record from YouTube so you should be able to. I think there is a setting in the driver app that zoom puts in the control panel. I can’t check myself now as I no longer use the L-20 in my DAW. I only use it for location recording. I use an RME interface and since I moved to win 11 I no longer have the zoom driver installed.

1 Like

Thanks for your reply. I’m using a Harley Benton MP100 MIDI/USB foot controller connected to my PC via USB. Amplitube within Cubase does receive MIDI data, but only for MIDI CC messages but not for MIDI program changes. This means I can set the footswitches on the foot controller to switch individual effects on/off, but I cannot figure out how to to set the footswitches to change between presets (different guitar sounds). I can easily do this in the standalone version of Amplitube, but not when it’s open as a VST in Cubase.

Make sure the Program Change messages are seen on your track by inserting a MIDI Monitor plugin in a MIDI insert slot.
Also verify that PC is not filtered out in Preferences > MIDI Filter.

1 Like

Hi,

Actually now I realized, you are right. Amplitube doesn’t receive all MIDI messages correctly in the VST mode. Only as standalone.

1 Like

Thanks for the reply, what is the MIDI Monitor plugin?

1 Like