Is Nuendo 11 too good to be true?

Hey there. For theatrical, a studio will still need an RMU for the foreseeable future.
One of the reasons is that the number of speakers for a theatrical installation is way higher than for a Home Entertainment mix room (here at Yellow Cab we have 34 surround and ceiling speakers), and the RMU needs to be able to connect and AUTO-EQ each one of them if needed. The RMU uses 2 MADI cards for input (the 128 channels that one can send to an Atmos) and output (up to 64 speakers on one MADI card, and downmix/re-renders on the other).
However the new renderer included in Nuendo does replace the Dolby Mastering Suite, as it not only simulates the Atmos panning but actually creates the file for delivery.

1 Like

Can anyone yet say if downmix for ambisonic binaural (for stereo headphones) is going to be available anytime soon? It is about a third of what I need for delivery and so far it isnā€™t looking like a work around is working out too well. I should have the 7.1.4 mixing upgrade finished by next week. Sorely disappointed at the lack of ambisonic binaural downmixing, and Iā€™m on Windows 10, so apparently no Atmos Production Suite for me, either. I do have additional computers and RME MADI capability up to 64in/64out between two machines if that helps.

1 Like

Yes, you can setup to do beds and objects in the plugin. Setting up the correct workflow is key to it all. I still wonder what is NOT included in the N11 ver compared to the DAPS software.

The export function is indeed a BWF with all tracks in the final file ( I just did a test last night). You can also export out other formats by changing the config in the plugin at the top right.

DrSL has provided some pointers for my setup as well!

This is one of those things I canā€™t seem to determine if correct or not. I havenā€™t found an area that includes the metadata and the export is only a BWF that is created (multi-channel depending on what you choose to render out). I have not seen additional .adm files, unless of course they are embedded in the BWF metadata. May be that is all that is needed for the DAPS HT version upon export.

If you want more, perhaps you bring your session project to a certified stage for final output.

One of their videos did show this quote regarding metadataā€¦then it showed opening and playing the file within DAMS to show metadata retention.