Is possible to assign presets in Halion Sonic SE to buttons on a MIDI controller?

Hi, I’d like to be able to change between presets in Halion Sonic SE with the buttons on my MIDI controller, i.e. have for example a piano sound on button 1, a synth pad on button 2, and so forth. Is this possible to do? Thanks.

Hi,

You can switch HALion Sonic SE to the GM mode. Then you can define your own set of Programs in the HALion Sonic SE. Then you can switch the preset via sending the relevant Program Change MIDI Message from your MIDI Keyboard or the MIDI Part.

1 Like

How do I switch it to GM mode?

Hi,

Switch to the Option tab in HALion Sonic SE. In the Global Section click to the Program Change drop-down menu and choose GM Mode.

1 Like

Ok so I’ve switched it to GM mode. It loaded up presets in the 16 slots of Halion Sonic SE. I put 2 sounds in the first 2 slots (‘80s Piano Layer’ and ‘Two Synths’ - see screenshot below). So what do I do next? How do I assign each preset to a button on my keyboard controller?

Also, are there any tutorials for how to set up MIDI program changes in Cubase with any VST, as I am not sure how it’s done? Do program changes assigned to controllers need to be set up within each VST, or is there a global setting in Cubase that can be set up?