Is the audio quality of Dorico Elements comparable to Pro when writing for 12 instruments or less?

Sibelius 6.2 has been my go-to program for years, and it has generally been reliable. I export the individual audio tracks to my DAW and continue the workflow. Working like this is my preference. I’m thinking of getting Dorico Elements to write jazz music for 8 or more players. I want to get some high-quality VST solo brass instruments, but all seem to work with the full version of Kontakt 7 which I can’t use with Sibelius 6x (not supported).
Dorico SE permits a maximum of 8 players, while Dorico Elements allows up to 12 players. I often use many articulations to bring realism to solo instruments. Is the audio quality of Dorico Elements comparable to Pro when writing for 12 instruments or less?

Dorico Elements allows unlimited players, as of Dorico 5.

And yes, audio is the same. Compare here: Compare the Versions of Dorico: Elements & Pro | Steinberg

1 Like

As you’ll see in the comparison chart, you don’t get the bundled HALion Symphony Orchestra library with Elements; but all versions of Dorico can use third-party VSTs and any sample libraries that you have. So if you have Kontakt libraries, you can use them with Elements.

Note that with Dorico 5.1 Iconica Sketches will be there for Elements too, so that’s not a real difference anymore.

3 Likes

I appreciate all of your feedback very much. This is wonderful news.

I have several 3rd party VSTs and a few sample libraries, including Ircam Solo Instruments, which I hope the articulation changes in this library will be simpler in Dorico than they are in Sibelius.

Regards,
Dom

Well, if you find expression maps for this library, it certainly is going to be quite easy. But if you have to create them, expect some time spent on the forum asking questions :wink:

1 Like

Thanks for the heads-up, Marc. Oh, I’m definitely hoping to find an expression map, lol!