Is there a chord symbols appearance presets reference?

Is there a reference that shows specifically what comprises each of the Chord symbols appearance presets in Dorico Pro?

I searched and didn’t find anything aside from this page of the reference. That’s a good start, but not comprehensive.

If such a thing doesn’t exist, it would be great to see in a future update.

Thanks!

2 Likes

If you switch the preset at the top, you can then scroll down the Engraving Options page and see the current state of all the options (that together comprise the preset).

1 Like

Hadn’t thought of that - thanks!

But it would be challenging to compare presets this way. Much easier with a big table.

Perhaps, but it’s not the “Dorico manual way” to document specific options and settings in general, we made a decision not to explain every Engraving Option in the manual as the musical examples and explanations in the dialog itself should tell you what you need. You’re more than welcome to create your own spreadsheet for reference of course :slight_smile:

I would agree if Dorico was not describing options as presets (e.g., chord symbol preset). Since Dorico has defined presets, the team is working off of a spreadsheet or documentation of some sort and it would be useful for end users to have that information so they do not have to recreate the wheel. I agree with bobk. Thank you.

1 Like

A good alternative would be to list the sources on which the presets are based. For example, Sher Music’s “New Real Book Vol 1” (page vi) shows the Brandt-Roemer system (with some exceptions).

Similarly, most of Jamey Aebersold’s play-along books include a “Chord Nomenclature” chart (though I realize Dorico doesn’t use this).

You might find it helpful to open a project like the attached and try applying each of the presets to get a good idea of the differences.

Real Book overview.dorico (246.0 KB)

Boston is what’s taught at Berklee, Brandt-Roemer is of course from their book, Indiana is Aebersold, New York is what’s used at Jazz at Lincoln Center, Nashville is Nashville numbers, Jazz Standards is from the Real Book, Ross is from the appendix to Ted Ross’s book, and Japanese matches the convention used by Yamaha in their publications in Japan.

3 Likes

Great - thanks!

Good to know that Indiana is Aebersold!

Until now, I thought it referred to Indiana University (which, for those who don’t know, has a renowned music school, though it focuses more on classical than jazz) and/or David Baker.

Thank you so much. Very useful.