Is there a way to enter a note in the Play Tab and NOT have it show up in the score?

Hello,

I have recently bought OrganTeq and have discovered that its stops are triggered by note events i.e. the black keys that are out of the organ’s range control the stops. The problem is I do not know if there is a way to get Dorico to “play” these notes, thus triggering the stops, without writing them into the score. So I was wondering if it was possible to write such notes into Dorico’s Play Tab and NOT have them appear in the score?

Thank you for reading this.

If I am not mistaken, those are “keyswitches”. Maybe searching the manual or the forum with those could help :wink:
I do not use Organteq, but actually Dorico can generate keyswitches through the expression maps. You can decide that a playing technique called “x” will be played using the keyswitch “y”, there is no need for these notes to be entered in the Play tab. As Paul Walmsley has written yesterday in another thread, “Play Mode is not a MIDI data editor. It’s an interface that shows the playback data within the notation. Unlike Cubase, Dorico doesn’t store a list of MIDI events. All the notes are generated dynamically from the notation.”

As Marc says, where possible you should create an expression map that defines the appropriate keyswitches to produce the sounds you want. This is not a trivial exercise but if you read up on editing expression maps you should hopefully be able to find your way. Let us know if not.

One other option is to create an ossia staff for your organ instrument and add the necessary keyswitches there, then remove the ossia staff: this doesn’t actually remove the music from the flow, and those notes will be played back, but if the ossia is not shown, you won’t see those notes. You can even have one layout where the ossia is shown and another where it isn’t, because there’s a layout option to hide or show ossia staves.

Thank you for the replies. It seems that keyswitches are the way to go, and I have set one up that triggers the correct stop, but for some reason trills don’t play back with it. I can see in the OrganTeq interface that the notes are rapidly alternating, but no sound. Do I need an expression map for trills?

NOTE: I should clarify that the trill plays back with the Natural playing technique, but not my custom stop one.

You might want to specify in Playback Options that trills should always play back using generated notes. Alternatively, you should investigate what Organteq is doing when it receives rapidly alternating notes.

Okay, so I think I’ve finally figured it out. The secret is to NOT insert a stop-changing playing technique at the very beginning of the score, but use the OrganTeq VST to begin the piece with the stop you want.

To add a stop in addition to the beginning stop, create an expression map that adds a keyswitch but doesn’t press the keyswitch that turns the first stop off i.e. if you begin with Principal 8’ (D#0 is the keyswitch on OrganTeq) and want to add a Flute 8’ stop on top of it, create a keyswitch that directs only to G#0.

To change stops e.g. from Principal 8’ to Flute 8’, use a keyswitch with both D#0 and G#0. For the aforementioned example, if the piece began with the Principal 8’ stop, this will turn Principal 8’ off and Flute 8’ on.

Not beginning the score with an organ-stopping playing technique seems to fix the trill problem I was having as well.

Hope this can be understood and is helpful.