Is there a way to get in touch with Anthony Hughes directly for a question concerning Petaluma?

Folks,

like it says in the title… :relieved:
Thx!

Benji

You could try actually asking it here. :grin:

I’m a little hesitant to do that, since I don’t want to be scolded for perceived nagging…:wink:

But, since you asked: A comparatively large portion of my time entering scores and leadsheets in Dorico is spent on correcting the box around text items. I’d love for the team to make Petaluma behave just like Bravura, in that the border of boxed text should be nice and tight around the text. In a score with a lot of performer instructions or notes I’m ending up with correcting literally dozens of text boxes…
That’s all.
And I wanted to ask Anthony directly and discreetly, because he is the designer of that beautiful font.

All the best,
Benji

Benji, have you tried creating a dedicated paragraph style and setting the option in there to show a border around it, then adjusting the border padding so that e.g. top, left and right padding use a value like 2pt, while the bottom padding is set to a negative value like -2pt?

If you then save this paragraph style as a default for future projects, you can then assign a key command to create a text item using your chosen paragraph style right away.

2 Likes

Daniel,

well, I’ll be damned… :relieved:
No, I haven’t tried that yet, but I will first thing in the morning!
Sounds like the solution indeed… Thanks!

You guys rock! :metal:
Cheers,
Benji

Besides I’m fairly sure that Anthony Hughes is a digital creation. No one has a voice that smooth. I think his character is secretly played by Lillie using some unreleased features of Cubase 24. And we don’t ever believe in ridiculous unsubstantiated rumors and stories.

8 Likes

Apologies for not replying sooner: the server on which I reside has only just been powered up for the day.

Daniel is, of course, correct with his suggestion. This is a problem you will potentially encounter with any font, due to the fact that different fonts have different metrics, and no one set of padding defaults will work for everything. Hopefully, though, you’ll find this trick easy to set up and use.

Thanks for watching.

7 Likes

Many thx to all the Ladies and Gents involved here, and I’m overjoyed to report that Daniels “trick” works perfectly!

All the best to everyone,
Benji