Is there a way to make the Fermata actually mean something in Playback?

So when playing back the note with a Fermata it actually just disregards it and continues playing as if nothing happened… Is there a way to fix that without having to adjust the tempo? Like an option to choose how much the delay (In % or timeframe) in the bottom “Tab” I forgot what they call it.
Thanks. :pray:t2:

No: you’ll have to set the tempo change yourself. Fermatas mean lots of different things in different contexts.

It’s on the team’s list of things to do. But it is not easy to do it well.

2 Likes

“I only know about Sibelius,
because I wrote that implementation.”

These are always the most fun on this forum… :joy:

B.

1 Like

It’s called the “lower zone”, and specifically the place with lots of options for the items currently selected in the music area is called the “Properties panel”. Just for ease-of-use going forwards.

No, but if you draw in the necessary tempo change (ie a dip in tempo then back to normal again) in the Tempo track, those changes won’t appear in the music: they’ll just be signposts.

See guys in my opinion that’s what the “Lower Zone” is for. To edit, in any aspect what the Fermata needs to be in the score because the lower zone opens a lot of options for other things like tempo marks (rallentando. etc.) And you can edit it’s percentage of tempo change. Even if the Fermata might have different significance in the score the lower zone should open room for editing.

I know i can change the tempo manually just saying this option is missing where it would be great to be able to have this edit.

The team is well aware of the request and the attendant requirements and implications of fermatas having an impact on playback time. If you search the forum, you should find a number of previous discussions on the topic, including some very well-informed explanations from the relevant developer (Paul).

Finale, with it’s “HumanPlayback” addon (included with Finale) did a pretty good job of just automatically taking care of fermatas.
I’m sure that team Dorico will find a way to implement it at least as effectively, if not more-so, as MakeMusic did with Finale.

That said, I’ve never worked with a DAW in my life, and the Play window, and anything remotely “not a score” just scares the poop out of me.

Is there a guide, sort of a “using non-score mechanics in Dorico for absolute idiots”, where I might at least start learning about how these functions work?

I have no doubt it will be better, that’s why I’m asking about it knowing it would have been introduced with Dorico 4.

1 Like

Okay I rest assured knowing it is being looked into because it seems very possible given the level of great attention the team has given to a lot of things on this software.

1 Like

I had the same problem (being over 60). My solution was to go and learn the basics of a DAW and I ended up with Cakewalk [Windows only, but totally free], for which there are many videos for the beginner (I’d highly recommend the Creative Sauce series). Having got my head around the jargon, Dorico’s DAW-like features make a whole lot more sense!

My workaround in early Dorico, pre tempo lane was to create a playback score and (for example) make a 5/4 measure from a 4/4 measure to hold a fermata that extra beat. Maybe add a 1/8 measure after for a ceasura. No tempo changes needed.

I have done something somewhat the same on occasion for a caesura, only I simply add the extra beat or partial beat to an existing measure and hide the rest and the temporary time signatures.

I expect one could do something similar for a fermata and then drag the sound bar(s) into the empty space in the key editor.

More often though, for a fermata, I will adjust the tempo track, although I cannot say I am any more comfortable with that than Michel is.

Notion handles fermatas well. You can even click on them and set the duration of the hold

1 Like

the same with Finale. you can define what proportion of a note the fermata should lengthen by.
it also does a lovely little ritardando before a fermata that has, until now, always been very nicely proportioned to the overall tempo and the significance of the fermata.

2 Likes

Indeed🙂