Is there a way to monitor midi messages in C9

My out going midi indicator on the transport bar is pulsing more than I think it should. I’m just wondering what all the chatter is about. I would expect cubase to have this feature but I haven’t found it.

Btw The chatter appears in C8 and C8.5 so not a new problem. In fact, it may not be a problem at all. I’m just curious and of course I want to eliminate any unnecessary chatter.

Hi,

Add a MIDI Track and Insert MIDI Monitor MIDI Insert. Make sure, the Monitor shows all incomming data.

Thanks Martin but this is not exactly what I’m looking for. I would like to see the outgoing messages for the entire project. Do you know of a way to do that?

Are you seeing this extra activity even when Cubase isn’t actually playing?
Anyways, if you set Martin’s proposed MIDI track to “All MIDI inputs”, you’ll at least be able to see if anything (e.g. MIDI Realtime or Active Sensing) is being input from one of your devices.
Otherwise, I think you’ll need an external MIDI monitor (and probably need to re-route all your MIDI tracks to the same virtual device, so that the external MIDI monitor sees everything :wink: )
Or, if you have a MIDI Loopback app, re-route all your MIDI tracks to the Send to that, create a new MIDI track, with the Loopback Return as its input, and put Cubase’s MIDI Monitor Insert FX on that. :wink:

The activity only happens during playback and only outgoing activity. All my virtual instruments are frozen and I’m not triggering outboard synths. That’s why I’m stumped. I do have 12 bettermaker analog eqs that are midi controlled. However I’m not using automation for them.

I have two ssl sigmas that are controlled over midi using MCU and there is lots of automation here, but not all the time so I’m still stumped.

Then I can merely suggest muting all tracks, one at a time, until you find the culprit.
Do you have a Generic Remote transmitting anything?

Do you use Mackie Conteol protocol or Mackie HUI? Mackie HUI is constantly sending a data “I’m still alive”. :wink:

The only one solution I could imagine is to use MIDI Sends, and send MIDI signal from all tracks to some external MIDI Momitor application (MIDI Monitor on Mac or MIDIO-X on Windows). But to be honest, I would say any HW comunication will do this, so you will not see it from the tracks Outputs (just a guess).

Did you cause some kind of feedback loop? I once thought external hardware was broken but I was feeding it its own midi out, whoops.