Is there a way to set audio events by default to musical mode?

Hey there,
there is a way to set new tracks to musical time base by default, but is there also a way to set recorded events to musical mode by default, without having to go in the audio pool or by using the info line?

Musical mode or musical time base?

AFAIK time base can be set for tracks only? Or am I wrong?
Basically I want the audio events be be in Musical Mode by default, so that when changing tempo, it moves with the grid. Right now, I have to activate it after recording by hand in the Pool or by clicking on ā€œmusical modeā€ in the info line.

Is there ? I think it is only for time base.

The question isnā€™t really clear, but anyway, the answer to the question is no.

Musical timebase is a track parameter, Musical mode is an audio file parameter. So Cubase wouldnā€™t set new tracks to musical mode, it would set them to musical time base.

2 Likes

Ehrm, sorry I meant time base of course.

Yep that was an error in the first post obviously. I think my answer to your first question is pretty clear and shows what I really meant.

I have the opposite problem. I hate Musical Mode more than life itself, and it always imports all my clips in Musical Mode. Doesnā€™t matter how many times I change the preference. I hate it and Cubase just laughs at me each and every timeā€¦ life is hard

2 Likes

How is that? I always thought its off by default lol. Would definitely be happy if I had your settings :sweat_smile: :joy:

Lets trade systems.

1 Like

No Preference exists which controls a fileā€™s Musical Mode, no matter how many times you try to change it.

Iā€™d guess that the Preference you are really changing is for the default Track Timebase.

Musical Mode is set in the audio file itself. If the clips have Musical Mode set when you import them, that means it was set before you imported it. I strongly suspect that Musical Mode and ACIDized are different names for the same thing. If you import an ACIDized file it will have Musical Mode enabled.

1 Like

Donā€™t know if this helps or not, but audio dragged in from Windows Explorer always arrives without Musical Mode set.

However, audio clips dragged in from Media Bay have Musical Mode set if the previewer option is set to ā€˜Align Beats to Projectā€™. Otherwise they are added without Musical Mode set.

1 Like

Where is that option to ā€œAlign Beats to Projectā€ ? Maybe thatā€™s my problem!

Iā€™m just importing tracks that were exported from other DAWs and they are always imported in Musical Mode. Also, if I export tracks from Reaper and send them to someone else who is using Cubase, they always ALWAYS are put in Mysical Mode.

When you say Tracks do you mean an actual Track or just an Audio file that was located on a Track?

Tracks cannot be set to Musical Mode, although they can be set to the similarly named but different Musical Timebase.

Only Audio files can be set to Musical Mode.

If you do mean Audio Files, then if Audio exported from Reaper always imports with Musical Mode Enabled that implies that Reaper is setting the Metadata so the file is stretchable.

A quick google search turned up this article about audio time stretching
https://www.sweetwater.com/insync/use-time-stretching/

Well, the cubase manual talks about two possible ā€œmodesā€ for timebase. So technically its the musical timebase mode. At the end we all know what is meant here I guess, or? Its just semantics, as some would say.

@ David_Velez It is one of the options when you open the Media Bay window, where the previewer is at the bottom.

There are three icons at the bottom right of the window - Auto Play, Wait For Project Play (I think those are the other two from memory!) and the Align Beats is the other one. That enables previewed loops to play back at the project tempo ā€¦ and has the advantage of then importing audio clips in Musical mode when you drag them into the project.

Ahhhā€¦ I have that option off, but I always just drag and drop my audio files in from the desktopā€¦ maybe I should use the Media Bay next time. Thank you!

@raino Youā€™re a goddamn genius.

1 Like