Is there a way to stop note input?

Hi all,
Maybe this is more of a feature-request, not sure.

So, funny story, I was working on a piano piece in Dorico 5.1 when the phone rang in the middle entering notes. After the call ended, I’d forgotten all about Dorico and started practicing on the piano instead. I played for like 25 minutes, I guess, and went back to Dorico. And what do you know - every, single note I’d played for 25 minutes had been buffered and was now about to be entered into the bassline-staff in Dorico. This was about an hour ago and it’s still going strong (apparently assuming that I’m about to notate a Godowski-variation and have a 6-7 octave fingerspan in my left hand).

I have tried to hit escape, but I guess that key-stroke has been buffered as well, so it’ll come at the very end, after all notes have been entered in god knows how long it’ll take.

So, note to self and others - make sure you’re out of write/notation mode before you start playing Chopin. :rofl:

And as for feature request: Please make it possible to stop Dorico from entering notes. :smiley:

Thomas.

1 Like

Well, I guess better too much saved than anything lost! Good cautionary tale.

2 Likes

Indeed!

A small update: Dorico caved in about 10 minutes after I posted and I was forced to kill the process. At that point it was using around 25GB of RAM with only a single piano loaded.

Fortunately, the auto-save featured had been working while Dorico was busy entering notes, so nothing was lost! After a little cleanup I was back to where I was before! :slight_smile:

Thomas.

1 Like

This already exists now as pitch-first input. With the input cursor active, play as much as you want and nothing at all will be input until you hit a duration. I basically only use pitch-first as I can play on my MIDI keyboard, noodle, figure out a voicing, etc., all while leaving the caret active, and nothing is input until I want it to be. I’ll switch over to duration-first if I’m inputting an exercise that’s a solid run of 8ths or 16ths, but generally I only use pitch-first. Hitting ESC to exit the input cursor and then restarting it a few thousand times in the course of writing a piece used to drive me crazy, and all that is avoided with pitch-first.

2 Likes

Thank you very much for suggesting this! I’ll have to look into the pitch-first input technique as this is not something I’m familiar with. But it sounds very useful for my situation as I both noodle, practice and compose while notating at the same time! :- :sweat_smile:

Thomas.

1 Like