Is there any advantage of using Dual Xeon computers?

Hi everyone

Is there any advantage using dual xeons in a cubase setup?

After Cubase 10 is supporting 14+ cores, I thought this might be a good alternative to u i series processors. Imagine two Xeon processors with 10 cores and 20 threads. That would give you 20 cores and 40 threads in total combined with a huge amount of ram.

Anyone ever been running a rig with dual xeons?

No i dont think so…Yaa there is slight edge but no bulk amount of advantage.Regards.

Memory is connected faster with dual xeon, because of 4 channel RAM connection. Most i7, i9 … only have dualchannel memory. Every socket has got it‘s own half memory to address. Two sockets have the possibility to use one core each in turboboostmode. Less cores can run at higher frequency, because every core produces thermal output, that must be cooled down.

If you want to use extensively sample libs, then you can adress more physical RAM on a Xeon DAW (perhaps 256 GB RAM) instead of 64 GB on a consumer PC. The difference is PC or workstation. PCIe-lanes are more on Xeons than on PC.

I am using a dual xeon E5 2630 V2, 64 GB RAM and am still happy with it.

I know I’m picking nits here, but…

• More memory channels increases bandwidth but not really speed.

• In addition to that if you have two sockets and each socket has its own memory slots attached to it then one CPU may have to go through the other to access data. AMD’s Threadipper showed very clearly that this could be limiting depending on the application.

I guess there is only one way to find out - and that is a real life test.

The parts I need are ordered and I will make a post when it is up and running.

The setup will be dual Xeon e5-2670 @2,6ghz with 96 gigs of ram.