Is there any chance for the German version to revert to "flow" instead of "Partie"?

Like it says… :wink:
I think the team shouldn’t underestimate their German customers’ ability to understand a beautifully simple concept such as flows and the perfectly neutral and unambiguous (in the sense that within Dorico context it can mean only one thing!) terminology that comes with it.

Reason is, I’m more than willing (eager actually!) to recommend Dorico to my friends and colleagues, but cannot personally get over that peculiar German term…

Cheers,
Benji

1 Like

I share your dislike to the term ”Partie”. It is missing the ambiguity of ”flow”, which comes across like an entity that has flowing capabilities, wheras “Partie” is restricted to just being a “part”. It would be interesting to know if the developers came up with the term “flow” spontaneously, or if the search for a suitable term was a process that took weeks and months.

I guess the term “Ablauf” would come closest in German, but it doesn’t have the crispness of “flow” and besides, it’s probably too late to change the name of one of the most important terms in Dorico, even if you rename it to the original name. German users have become accustomed to “Partie”, just as they accept “Schmetterling” (smasher), which is probably the most inappropriate expression for a delicate creature like a butterfly.

Ah, interesting! Meanwhile most people have lost their connection to the East Middle High German language tradition, but that’s how it goes. Most of the time we use words whose origin we don’t know. By the way, I’ve never seen a butterfly nibble on cream. But this may be a little off topic here :wink:

Another reason why „Partie“ isn’t the best choice: « Parties » in a French baroque orchestra setting is the term used for the middle voices, the parts between Dessus and Basses

Keep it coming, maybe we can change the world! :relaxed:

Sincerely, Benji

I agree. A “Partie” is a “Gesangspartie” in an opera. It’s a part, or a line in a movement, or just a phrase of an instrument which is soloistic. But it doesn’t capture “flow” very well.
I am not too offended by the term though, exactly because it’s so extremely vague. And since I use Dorico, I haven’t come up with a better term.

“Block”, “Fragment”, “Teil” sound too square, solid, unflexible
“Container”, “Gefäß” sound too empty and technical.
“Lauf”, “Fluss”, “Ablauf” sound too far from music, way too established meanings…
“Strom”? Sounds too electric…

How about: “Bett”? A little poetic, the english equivalent is “bed”, which is also used in Dolby Atmos, with a different meaning, though…

Lucky you: I still don’t understand what does flow means in this context. I use the word, but for me it could be “hairy spider” as well.

Exactly. A word was needed that had no established structural associations in music, and yet felt appropriate (music does flow) – so that it could mean “whatever sort of divisions you need in your project”:

• movement
  • number in an opera or musical
  • song in a songbook
  • hymn in a hymnbook
  • example in an article or essay
  • item in a workbook or test
  • and any other such usage you might need

Just “a chunk of your music,” whatever that may be in your work.

3 Likes

My appreciation of the term “flow” grew as I tried to find a better one. It seems unusual to use flow as a unit, but maybe the developers wanted to emphasize that the units are fluid. They can stand alone or be part of a larger piece, can include one note or thousands, just flowing.

2 Likes

To what you wrote, I like „Bett“ even more.

Sounds a little sleepy :sleeping_bed:. But how about “Beet”? In my Collins dictionary I just see that both the bed for sleeping (Bett) and the bed for flowers (Beet) are both called bed. Just as a reminder: the OP wanted to revert “Partie” to … “Flow”!

In my experience with the german Forum here and the one on Facebook, I would recommend not to stick to English terms, as many German users find them usually rather confusing.

Beet is nice, a little food-ish. I thought since Dolby Atmos is using “Bett”, the term is a little more accepted in Software already.

My impression is rather that some German colleagues interestingly find the concept of flows confusing, rater than the term.
In the light of this, why not just rename it to “flow”, since it’s just 4 letters really…
Anyway, the term has become so connected to Dorico, that its almost like a trademark term now. And Germans usually respond to English trademarks very well, since even “Krieg der Sterne” has become “Star Wars” now, and laudably so… :wink:

Cheers,
Benji

2 Likes

I agree with @YourMusic.Pro: The concept of flows is so unique to Dorico that translating it comes with a great loss.
+1 for using the word “Flow” in the German translation of Dorico.

As others have pointed out, “Partie” has some quite specific meaning in German - the very situationthat they tried to avoid. Just go with “Flow” :slight_smile:

1 Like

It is a fact that anglicism is becoming more and more common in colloquial German. Young people in particular often converse in a mixed language between German and English with verbs like copypasten, shoppen, cheaten, haten, supporten, chillen etc. The word “flow” is also generally understood, in the sense of “im Flow sein” when activities are easy to do without having to think about it (being in the zone). “Flow” may in fact be easier to understand than “Partie” which means all sorts of things, e.g. “eine gute Partie machen” when someone marries a rich bride (or vice versa).

4 Likes

@Rinaldo @Juerg_Loeffler
I am getting it, thank you. When I knew Dorico, I thought it was a musical term I should have known from before.

(OT: I am not German, but lived there for five years. A couple of times I heard „ich habe es schon downgeloaded“. Haha. )

1 Like

German is a lovely language. For example: „umfahren“ and „umfahren“ are two verbs meaning the exact opposite of each other.
They only distinguish in the past forms, where one „um“ is interpreted as a preposition, while the other „um“ is considered to be proper part of the verb:
Ich umfuhr
Ich fuhr um.

Or

Ich habe umfahren
Ich habe umgefahren

Since the past participle of regular verbs with prepositions in German is constructed in the form preposition + prefix „ge“ + verb close to indikative form, „downgeloaded“ is actually the correctly constructed past participle :wink:
Actually, it should be „downgeload“ :joy: but let’s not split hairs…

3 Likes

And just to (possibly unnecessarily) explain the joke (which is real, of course…), adding the word “ihn”, meaning “him”:

“Ich umfuhr ihn” = I drove around him
“Ich fuhr ihn um” = I ran him over

:wink:
Sincerely,
Benji

1 Like

For context, we borrowed ‘Flow’ from the world of Desktop Publishing rather than music (though we nouned the verb). In DTP the page is defined as a set of boxes of various shapes, and then the text ‘story’ ‘flows’ through these boxes, creating new pages as required (or indicating that more pages are needed).

More generally, ‘flowing’ text means to dynamically lay it out to fill the available space, rather like a liquid.

The reason we didn’t choose a musical term such as movement, verse, song was that they are much more general than that, as Rinaldo says above. Flows are about content, Layouts are about presentation.

3 Likes