Is there any way to create a staff-based, horizontal "bracket above" over a group of notes?

In Sibelius it would have been a staff-based “Lines”-based graphic. I often use this to highlight a certain group of notes in a part and then add some text above this about what’s going on, etc. Please let me know!

• D.D.

Lots of threads about this.

I swear I searched (!) Maybe I’m not using the right terminology?

• D.D.

I use a triplet of “3 in the time of 3” or whatever.

Sorry, didn’t mean to sound dismissive. The last thing we want (I am making an assumption here) is a forum in which people are afraid to ask for help, lest it’s been previously discussed… but buried in thread #49,826… :laughing:

Too late! :laughing:

I’m confused - wouldn’t this obligate me to change the value of the actual notes that I’m putting the bracket above? That seems complicated for situations in which I just want to say “pay particular attention to whatever stuff is below this bracket”, etc. (which is generally how I’d use it). Is there any other “workaround” way at present I’m not considering? This functionality is (to me) pretty important so hope they’ll add it soon…(thanks for any help!)

• D.D.

No. As long as the tuplet definition is equal parts, then the note values don’t need to change. E.g. A tuplet is normally 3 somethings in the time of 2 of them. If you make it 3 in the time of 3 of them, (or 4 in the time of 4), then it’s not really a tuplet – it’s no different from normal notation, but you still get the bracket.

In a word, no

Just try it!

Even with tuplets that span multiple bars there are nice little switches in the properties panel that you just flick. You can do it all after you’ve entered the notes and the lyrics. Look:

I’m still confused (I’m afraid!), though I appreciate everyone’s efforts to explain this workaround to me. Is there a way, for example, to put a bracket above the HIGHLIGHTED notes in this example? What would be the procedure? (just wondering what happens if the note divisions above which the bracket is to appear are less predictable, etc.)?:

Thanks again -

• D.D.

This one’s a bit more of a pain than I’d anticipated.
First, count up whatever the lowest common denominator is - quavers/eighths, in this case. There are 23 of them, for what it’s worth.
Then cut the first tie so that your first note is a single eighth (followed by another single eighth) - Dorico will create a tuplet based on the note value of the first selected note.
Select the passage, invoke the tuplet popover, type 23:23. Hit return.

The result looks like this:

With the various tuplets still selected, flick the “Spans barline”, “Split note at spanned barline” and “Number” switches in the bottom panel.

Re-tie your first note.
Double-check your note-values carefully - you may need to use Force Duration.

Thanks for taking the time to explain this! I had actually also tried 23:23 but it didn’t occur to me to break the first tie and that the entire thing (of course) is based upon the first note value. I will definitely try again. Hopefully Dorico has a better solution coming, though (“in the fullness of time”, as Daniel would say :slight_smile:) since that’s QUITE a workaround (!)…

• D.D.

Why about creating it as a playing technique?

You’d need a separate playing technique for each bracket on the page, as they’re all different lengths, and you’d have to update them every time the spacing on the page changed.

Playing techniques can’t grow and shrink like a hairpin.

This process does not seem to work with v.3. It creates triplets and bars with incorrect note values. Does anyone know if there a font (such as the arrow font work around) that contains horizontal brackets?

As far as I can tell this still works exactly the same way in v3 as in previous versions. What exactly are you trying to achieve, and how are you going about it?

I think Andre is referring to use playing technique lines instead of brackets. If you create a playing technique of a left hook, and specify its continuation as a solid line with hook ending, you end with a pseudo bracket that can be extended as a hairpin.

Josue, I’m sure that D.D.’s come to a solution in the last year :wink: (Also, my information was correct when I posted it, but you really do have to look at dates on this forum!)

Ha ha ha! So true. I’m very sorry! I’ll be more careful.