From the musical point of view, so mote it be.
I’ll try and explain the impasse in greater detail then let it go. The topic was about throwing screen shots, not the etiquette of part writing but still…
In a daw, to save excessive staves for an orchestral score, I wrote parts for four horn players, two trumpeters and two trombonists on 3 staves.
Dorico correctly received the .xml (well, concerning this issues it did).
I split the horns onto two staves 1,3 and 2,4.
Thus I have 4 staves in total each with 2 players. When both players are at it Dorico shows them as chords - fine but I needed to point the stems the right way to make musical sense (as they weren’t always entering leaving and playing together). I was kindly given a solution here that seemed to work.
So I ended up last night with the thing notated satisfactorily (including rests). I double checked it then saved it,
When I opened it this morning before doing anything else, I re-checked. One particular staff had changed. Some of its down stems now pointed up but not as chords, separate notes very close to those they should be vertically aligned with. It only affected some bars on one staff. No other 2 player staff was affected.
So whether it was me inadvertently doing something on the fly as I reached for “save” or Dorico parsing what it finds on the save or on the open and didn’t like what it found, I don’t know.
But I think it will be clear why a screenshot or two would have saved hundreds of words.
I really can’t face having to re-do this stem stuff every time I open the file, it’s so disheartening. So I’ll edit it manually when I print the score off.
I have another problem to do with “front matter format” and once again, a picture would explain all, but apparently I’m not allowed to put them here. So I’ll have to take it elsewhere. Somehow.
Thanks for your response.