Is there any way yet to set up auto system breaks in Dorico (such as 4 bars/system, etc.?)

Can’t find this but it’s essential for jazz charts. I know I can hit shift-S manually for each and every line but it’s very time-consuming. Thanks!

• D.D.

Are you looking for this Layout Option?

systems.png

That’s it - thanks!
D.D.

This setting actually doesn’t seem to be working for me. I’m sure I’m applying the changes to the correct score in Layout Options because when I set it to “4” it at least does SOMETHING to the score (though it isn’t consistently setting things to actually 4 bars/system on each page). However, when I set it to “8” bars/system, I’m getting something as in the attached - what am I doing wrong? (or is this a bug):

Thanks in advance -

• D.D.

The fixed casting-off doesn’t correctly account for pick-up/upbeat bars at the start of the flow at the moment, and that’s something we’ll need to sort out.

I’m just trying to figure out why that first page has (12?) bars when I set it to 8 bars/system. Even if not counting the pick-up you’d expect 9 (unless the presence of the pickup somehow messes up the overall count, etc., at present?)

• D.D.

I think the two-bar repeats are also contributing to the fun.

along these lines, is it also possible to somehow force the 4 bars per system to cause all barlines on all pages/systems to be in the same position with the same horizontal space per bar always?

Quite simply: no.

You may be able to use the Casting Off settings in conjunction with tweaking the Note Spacing settings to approximate something along these lines, but it will really depend on what material is in each bar.

Only if the music in every bar has exactly the same notes.

What are you trying to achieve with this effect? Perhaps there’s another way of obtaining your end goal.

There is a very useful way here to use shift-S in Write mode, which really speeds up layout as you go.

You have to remove the End Slur shorcut.