Is there anyway I can improve on the exporting speeds?

Hi all,

I got myself a powerful PC, it runs shockingly fast, but audio exports, although much faster than before, could do with an improvement.

Are there any settings I am missing from Cubase (Pro 11) that would increase audio exporting speeds?

Many thanks!

One thing, if you’re not doing it already, is to increase your audio card buffer to the max. Can make a huge difference.

Also, and this one’s a dealbreaker for lots of peeps, I’m sure, but exclusively using the plugins that come with Cubendo can really speed things up. For instance, for audiobooks, where processing is simple (compressor, de-esser, expander, maybe a limiter), the Steinberg plugins do exactly what’s needed, and export speed seems to be maximized. I haven’t done any bench testing, and can only compare with the plugins I use-- clearly, UADs and some others can slow things down a lot. Pre-printing FX and removing the instances from your project can make a big diff. I don’t THINK freezing helps you much if at all in that department, but it’s been a long time since I checked.

And there you have it from here…

Chewy

Hey, thank you so much for the advice, much appreciated!!!

OK, I’ll give that a shot with my audio card. Cheers!

I am using a lot of 3rd party plugins, they could be slowing things down.

I am also on a forum from the PC company where I got the computer from, and a very knowledgeable chap who pointed me to m.2 drives.

I am fairly basic in terms of my knowledge of PCs and I didn’t even know that these existed.

I thought to post them here in case they would be of any help.

Apparently, they are not SATA and suppose to speed things up considerably.

Learning something every day :slight_smile:

My pleasure. And… I don’t THINK you’re going to see a great deal of improvement, if any with faster drives-- in this case they’re not the limiting factor. I mean, faster drives are great for all kinds of stuff (I’ve almost completely switched over to SSDs), but in this particular department probably not so much.

Chewy

1 Like

Oh yeah, same here, after 10 years of using normal drives, I finally switched to SSDs only for a guy to tell me that there are faster ones out there :laughing:

I suppose it’s how it goes with technology…

Thanks again!!

m.2 drives are NVMe that uses a different protocol than SATA. NMVe provides lower latency and lower CPU utilization for random reads and writes but won’t help at all with our workload, that’s, sequential reads and writes. It’s just the new standard enterprise servers and storage arrays used that made it’s way to our desktops. So the drives you have are fine. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you so much for the info!

Appreciated!

1 Like

I’ve always mixed to a different drive than the project is reading from.
Working drive is only reading data while the mix drive is only writing data.
With SSDs it’s probably less of a factor.

That said, I’m on mac and I noticed I big reduction in export speed when I upgraded from C8 to C10.5.
Exports are noticeably slower for me now.

Yeah, same here, OS drive is different from the drive I am running the working folder from, and libraries are reading from two separate drives. They are all SSD.

Really?? Exports slowed down from an older version to a newer one??

Well done Steinberg…

My CPU is also at max. 30% when bouncing/exporting. That eats so much time, and could really be improved massively.

I want to run a comparison in the upcoming weeks: Cubase on my i9-9900k desktop vs Cubase on my M1 MacBook Pro. Then also comparing with Logic on the M1. See if bouncing is much different.

1 Like

I was wondering if anyone here knows if overclocking improves exporting time?

This has not been the case for me. Been working in Cubendo in every version since the Cubase VST days.

Chewy.